Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some advise

Greetings All,
    Have a 94 GTX, completely stock.
    First PWC and only put about 15 hours on this since I bought in spring.
    Was out this past weekend and all was good until I started gettig a high pitched squell at half throttle and started loosing power. Noise went away when go to WOT and power came back up to normal.
    Could not tell if engine or drive system making the noise.
    Short time later engine quit and would not turn over.
    Turns over very slow tonight and am charging battery to see if it will turn over fast enough to fire. Flywheel will not turn over by hand.
    Also greased up the zirk fittings on drive shaft beaing and flywheel just in case
    Question: Has anyone else had similar problem?
    Any suggestions on how to determine where the trouble is?
    Does this sound like a drive system problem or the engine seizing up?
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    Toronto Canada

The only way to tell is to pull the pump and then try to turn the engine over by hand. But to be honest, it does sound like the engine seized. You can pull the Rave valves and ckeck to see what the cylinders look like. If it was a top-end seizure, it's not too expensive to fix. But, you will need to identify the cause first. It could be dirty carbs, old fuel line clogging the carbs, crank seal leaking air to the cylinder, etc. Let us know what you find... Ron

+1
    I thought only the limited(951's) had rave valves?

OBJ
    P.S I didn't think they had 951's in 94.

Smile

SOUNDS LIKE THRU HULL OR PUMP!!BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST!Ok first off look at spark plugs,are they nice and tan or have powdered aluminum on them, then check compression,Check the thru hull fitting under grey cover at back of engine , is it locked up???If it is you can loosen the two hose clamps holding it on hull and see if you can turn it by hand ,it should be free.If compression is good and thru hull bearing and seal carrier is good , then look at your pump, by a high pitched squeal I'm thinking,thru hull or jet pump, check each one in order to find your problem,PS manytimes the thru hull bearing gets locked up after sitting all winter , also perhaps when the pump oil was changed the oring was not installed properly and your pump is gone, check first things first, loosen clamps see if engine turns over better, if its not thru hull, or engine, then its gotta be pump!!JMHO>Marvin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooderg View Post
    Greetings All,
    Have a 94 GTX, completely stock.
    First PWC and only put about 15 hours on this since I bought in spring.
    Was out this past weekend and all was good until I started gettig a high pitched squell at half throttle and started loosing power. Noise went away when go to WOT and power came back up to normal.
    Could not tell if engine or drive system making the noise.
    Short time later engine quit and would not turn over.
    Turns over very slow tonight and am charging battery to see if it will turn over fast enough to fire. Flywheel will not turn over by hand.
    Also greased up the zirk fittings on drive shaft beaing and flywheel just in case
    Question: Has anyone else had similar problem?
    Any suggestions on how to determine where the trouble is?
    Does this sound like a drive system problem or the engine seizing up?
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    Toronto Canada

Thanks Guys,
    Marvin, I had a problem when I first started this in the spring with the thru hull and it was siezed up until I greased up and got it turning.
    The plugs look OK, kind of brown and nothing out of the ordinary.
    I charged the battery and still not able to get it to turn over enough to get it fired or to check compression. Pistons are not or have never been stuck in the the bore. Been able to get a little bit of play with the pistons moving but not able to turn flywheel full by hand.
    Just got unit in early spring and being a newby, no idea if/when pump oil has been changed or if ever. I tried filling the thru hull with grease after this all happened but nothing happened.
    I will try loosening clamps as suggested and then looking at possibility of the pump.
    Really appreciate the suggestions.
    Will let you know how I make out.
    Thanks again Guys
    Greg

Smile

if the thru hull was ever seized and you freed it up theres your problem, those are small needle bearings turning 6600 rpm, if they ever seize and you dont take it apart then change or clean the bearings completly its gonna lock loosen the clamps totally i'll bet you cant slide it a 1/2" forward , dont run the engine when you loosen clamps or you will wear down the fiberglass in hull then need to install a brass thru hull repair fitting.you will have to pull pump to remove shaft and change thru hull bearings and seals or buy a good used driveshaft from new style thru hull carbon ring and install new type carbon thru hull ps you can also have a machine shop put ds on lathe and cut retaining groove for carbon ring thru hull if you decide to go that route, cheapest fix is replace your thru hull using emery cloth to polish drive shaft and keep your new fitting greased but dont over grease and blow seals out , when you install new bearing borrow the tool so you dont damage bearing , also put bearing in freezer , heat carrier with propane torch then quickly slide bearing in place ,if you dont use heat, even with correct tool you damage bearing case,causing problems soon .also after installing bearings and cooling , instal seals if the front seal is little loose put it in place use a punch and punch 4 places in aluminum carrier around rim to tighten up seal and lock it in place to keep from pumping it out if you over grease it in future ,you have work to do get after it!!!>Marvin

Marvin, I took the two clamps off. Boot (looks like a piece of rad hose) and bearing move freely the 1/2" back and forth. Is this what you meant or were you talking about the shaft inside?
    Tried again to turn flywheel by hand but only moves slightly.
    Guess I will try removing the shaft next and see if the problem lies somewhere in there.
    Thanks again
    Greg

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by outboard john View Post
    I thought only the limited(951's) had rave valves?

OBJ
    P.S I didn't think they had 951's in 94.
    The 800 motor was the only one with rave valves... The 951 is a reed motor & wasn't released until the 97 limited!

Took the pump cone off and was greeted by a big pile of of metal shavings and what appears to be rollers from a bearing. Was bone dry in there. Pump cone was broken and not seating completely.
    Expensive lesson for sure. At least it isn't the engine.
    However, the pump housing wll not slide over the shaft now. Not sure if left overs from the bearing are holding it back.
    Any secret to getting this off?
    Is there a way to unhook from fywheel and bring the entire shaft out with the housing?
    When I get it all apart and fixed, am I best to change the wear ring while I've got it apart?
    Thanks in advance
    Greg

i think that year has sealant holding the housing to the support plate. it is a pain to get the housing off. you need to use a pry bar off some sort and gently pry each corner and rock the housing until it's free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information