+1

550 Rebuild question

Hey guys. A buddy and I just picked up/split an 88 550 stand up. It's in decent shape but has been difficult to start. So a compression test confirms it's time for a top end freshening(110-120). A shop tells us that it's been done once before and that we'll need to go second over(approx.40 th's or 2mm) and that for second over and up you have to bore the cases for skirt clearance. Anyone know for sure if this is correct? If so, i'm wondering if it's cheaper to have the cylinders sleeved to stock. Any thoughts?
    Thanks OBJ

Those compression readings seem to be ok to me. The specs on the 92 550 state between 78 and 125. Personally I would rebuild it when it gets lower than 110. My old 650 never ran higher than 122 or so and it ran that way for over 10 years. It was still the same across both cylinders when I traded it in. If you're having starting issues I would look into cleaning the carb(s) (not fure if there's one or two ) before anything else. Go the easy route first, that could be all it needs...if there's no difference then consider more technical things. Either way you should clean and rebuild it/them. It would be quite frustrating to give it all this time and a new top end and it grenades because the carburetion didn't get any attention.

+1
    Thanks. Will look into it. We were told compression should be around 150. When we bought this ski(recently) it came on a double trailer(old school, and simple) we paid a grand for the ski and trailer. The guy through in another stand-up that has lost pink slip. This ones a 78 440. The guy said that the person he inherited it from had done some building on it. By comparison it read 180 psi! This thing is a totally faded robin egg blue and is a little on the rough side. Did I mention that our compression test showed 180! This ugly little ski has surprised every one at our camp ground except one guy with a good running 650. Fun! Any way, would still like to get the 550 up to snuff.

OBJ

+1
    look on ebay nad get a new cylinder block. if its stock, get it dialed in for the pistons you have nad get new rings. $50 PLUS SHOP TIME AND YOU ARE DONE

JMHO

Sean

+1
    Going to look right know Sean.
    Thanks. OBJ

+1
    Make sure the compresion test is done cold with the throttle wide open. Also keep the plug in the cylinder that you are not testing.

+1
    Thank you sir.

OBJ

Thread Information