Newbie-1995 Waveraider Deluxe

Just bought 1995 Yamaha Waveraider Deluxe. Pretty sure it is 700cc, has 96 hours and runs great.

Anyone have any tips on riding this thing, how to be more stable at low speeds etc. I rode it this weekend, did well but seems kinda unbalanced when you are barely moving. Yes, I did dump it when making a left turn at a slow speed.

Should I sell it and never be embarrased again?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ED1976 View Post
    Just bought 1995 Yamaha Waveraider Deluxe. Pretty sure it is 700cc, has 96 hours and runs great.

Anyone have any tips on riding this thing, how to be more stable at low speeds etc. I rode it this weekend, did well but seems kinda unbalanced when you are barely moving. Yes, I did dump it when making a left turn at a slow speed.

Should I sell it and never be embarrased again?

thanks
    I think I know what your problem is... you were riding it slow. Why on earth were you riding it slow?

In my opinion, two seaters are fairly unstable at low speeds (I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule), if you lean the wrong way or turn to quickly you can get dumped pretty quickly. I think you probably just need some time to get used to it.

There are some things you can do to improve the handling when you're actually moving, but at slow speeds I think it all comes down to balance.

I'm thinking with some more time on it, I'll get used to it. Really weird, I was barely moving, turned it and off I go. I'm thinking getting used to the balance of it will help.

What kind of simple modifications would help stability at lower and higher speeds?

This is going to hurt!! DANGER1049's Avatar
    you didn't sell your bicycle when you fell the first time did you!! just joking trying riding a wave blaster its about half the size. A little practice you will have it . When in doubt pin it to win it!!!!! Good luck you have a good ski!!!

It turns exactly like a sport bike. You have to lean into the turn or it will dump you every time. The further you turn the bars the more it will want you to lean. The way the nozzle is tucked inside the housing makes it turn the boat over a bit. You will feel it as you ride it more. Don't sell it! It is way to much fun after you get use to it.

yeah the raider is unstable at low speeds. the 701 is very lighter then other skis so its more unstable then like the 1100

Thread Information