Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intercooler Water pressure

I sent some of the liquid intercooler sellers on Ebay a PM asking what the safe psi is for the core.

They say 30

I think the stock pressure is 30-40 is this true ?

I'm going to test it soon and then try to split the water like PR is doing except I'm going to see if it's possible to split it off the connection already in the hull.
    How does a regulator work? Does it basically just use a washer ? Can a water pressure regulator fail ?
    I'm thinking of either using a 30psi regulator or just using a brass coupler fitting with a stock washers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    I sent some of the liquid intercooler sellers on Ebay a PM asking what the safe psi is for the core.

They say 30

I think the stock pressure is 30-40 is this true ?

I'm going to test it soon and then try to split the water like PR is doing except I'm going to see if it's possible to split it off the connection already in the hull.
    How does a regulator work? Does it basically just use a washer ? Can a water pressure regulator fail ?
    I'm thinking of either using a 30psi regulator or just using a brass coupler fitting with a stock washers.
    If need be you can always slip a piece of tubing smaller diameter into hose, or install a washer at one of the connection...PR...

If I had to, I could install a smaller size tube in the hose at the pump/venturi connection, which would reduce pressure and flow...

I also saw some spots on the internet saying 30psi was optimal as long as the flow is.
    I think with a regulator and the water going in the IC and right out the hull would be the best way.

Can't wait till you get your rig going it looks good! Like hi tech lookin
    Last edited by Kinchyle; 07-27-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Kinch I don't know what kind of conditions you are riding in but I would be wary of using a regulator. I mean I dont know the inner working of a water pressure regulator but I would think that they could get clogged up with debris just like the IC can. I think you were on the right track with the pressure reducing washer idea. The way I look at it they don't currently clog on the pump so why would they inline.

Either way looking forward to your setup as I want to do the same when you get it figured out.

I would go with removing the PR washer and then installing two, one on each line, and a strainer on the IC.......

+1
    35-40 is stock pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    35-40 is stock pressure.
    at what RPM`s???...PR...

+1
    That was from my RXP test earlier in the year, at 8000rpms.

Well I guess my core has held up for about 20-30 hours so far but I think I'm going to try to lower the pressure to the IC to about 30 and give it optimal flow and a shorter path.

that was an issue that I raised months ago when ya'll started buying these IC's, they are designed to buy used with a dinky little water circulating pump that has nowhere near the pressure produced by the ski. IMO it should be proven/guaranteed to hold up at 50% over the ski's pump pressure.

I almost have all my parts in....
    I'm going to test stock pressure, my water guage has a max pressure needle and current pressure. Ordered 2 of the guages.

I'll test stock pressure max. If it's 40+ then I'm going to split the lines and then test the pressure on both lines. Then I'm going to experiment with different washers to regulate the line going to the manifold to be the same as stock , say 40+. Then I'm going to regulate the water going to the IC at 30-35 and then have the water go straight out the hull for maximum flow. I might get a flow gauge too.

should be full proof testing and go right along with PR's results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information