Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage cracked MFD screen

Been reading these forums for a week now, amazing information here!

I just bought a 2002 Virage I 800 Di. The person I bought it from said she was told it "needed a computer chip to run". She said it will run, but only fast enough to get you home at the moment? Basically all the info she had on it. Plus the tags expired August 2004, so I'm assuming it hasn't been used in several years, she said at least 2 years. The only bad thing I saw on it was that the MFD has a small crack in it and there is moisture behind the screen.

So far, I've cleaned the ski up real good. Bought a new battery and charged it all night. The old battery looked brand new, but tested bad...Anyway I hooked up the battery late last night just to see if the MFD would turn on, heck I don't even know how many hours it has on it. MFD didn't light up at all, I hit the blige pump and it fired up, I hit the start button and it cranked, I just made sure it would crank as I haven't figured out how to drain the gas/oil yet.

I plan on taking the MFD off tonight, I've read the posts on fixing/cleaning yourself, but what would someone suggest on the cracked screen/moisture issue?

I'm thinking on the "needing a computer chip to run" it's either that the MFD is jaked up, or possibly the TPS? Any suggestions/tips would be great.

Thanks

Randy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by randybw1 View Post
    ...I just bought a 2002 Virage I 800 Di.
    ...the MFD has a small crack in it and there is moisture behind the screen.

...I plan on taking the MFD off tonight, I've read the posts on fixing/cleaning yourself, but what would someone suggest on the cracked screen/moisture issue?

I'm thinking on the "needing a computer chip to run" it's either that the MFD is jaked up, or possibly the TPS? Any suggestions/tips would be great...
    What you have is an MFI display, which is a newer version of the MFD.

The MFI does not have the same reliability problems the older MFD's do, so there is less information about opening them up.

Don't worry about the hours. Just do a mechanical evaluation of the engine, and base your decisions on that, not the possible running hours.

The MFI is not central to the engine working, except if the security code has been locked (it probably hasn't).

If everything else seems good, look to buy a used MFI, rather than trying to fix the cracked one.

If the MFD is bad it will throw the ski into limp mode and not allow it to run over 3500 rpms. I would say that is your problem.

You can disable the limp mode for testing but I strongly recommend that you not run the ski with the limp mode disabled.

Be sure to check out the manual located in the tech section.

Ohhh ya, WELCOME TO THE GREEN HULK!!

+1

MFI

Thanks so much for the info, I'm trying to find one now. I found some good pictures of one, not the part number I'm looking for, but close. Anyway there is something plugged into the back of this picture that I didn't have on mine when I pulled it off. Can anyone tell me what it is and if I need it? It's the thing with Duetsch on it on the right side, just to the left of the part sticker...

Thanks!

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Anyway there is something plugged into the back of this picture that I didn't have on mine when I pulled it off. Can anyone tell me what it is and if I need it? It's the thing with Duetsch on it on the right side, just to the left of the part sticker...

Thanks!

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0
    Its a capped port that can be used w/ a transducer for the depth finder option.

+1
    I can't quite read the part number but I have a nice one, what's your number.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    Its a capped port that can be used w/ a transducer for the depth finder option.

Thanks Starflight! That puts my mind at ease, and makes sense. Now what happens when I plug in a new one of these? Will everything be reset? Like hours on the motor and any other info this thing displays?

+1
    ...Now what happens when I plug in a new one of these?
    Will everything be reset? Like hours on the motor and any other info this thing displays?
    You can use either version of the MFI display on your Virage.

The one with the Deutsch connector (for the optional Depth sensor) also has a built-in magnetic compass display, and a Reverse position indicator for the Polaris electric reverse (PERC). If your machine doesn't have electric reverse, then the indicator won't move, but it won't hurt anything either.

The Compass is a nice feature, entirely built into the display.

If you can find a depth sensor that will work with the display, it can be mounted (glued) into the bottom of the hull, and show you how much water depth you have below the hull.

The only memorized data in any of these displays is the engine hour meter. So you will get the hours reading from the previous machine the display came from.

Just make note (and dated photo) of what hours the display shows when you first hook it up, and then when you sell it (hopefully in the distant future), you can document that the hours showing are not the hours on your actual engine.

I have been told there is a way to reset the hour meter on an MFI display, but I have not seen the information about how one actually would do so.

There IS a way to reset the MFI security code to the factory default of 1234, if someone has set their own security code.

Once you have your machine working properly, take a moment to set your own security code. Then you can quickly lock the display, which will prevent the engine from starting. Unlock then takes a few seconds, and only five button presses.

+1
    WOW Thats an expensive MFD!!!
    GAUGE-MFI,VIRAGE,RVS RPM LIMIT (3280365) $632.92

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information