GPR Hood Removable/ Painting

Hey guys this will be my first thread and I am new to the forum thing but I need some help. I bought two GPR this spring and I got a damn good deal on them I think ha ha both 2001 Gp800R and 1200R with dual trailer, toolbox, covers, the whole shebang for $5500 and the skies only had 99hrs on them. Well they had some dents and dings in them and I filled them with fiberglass filler and sanded them down and they look good. Now here's my question, I want to paint the one 800R b/c it had a lot more dumps and broses on it so it needs to be painted. What type of paint should I Use? Now I heard the hull will have to have some additives in the paint so the hull can flex and the paint will not chip. I spoke with a guy that really didn't want to tell me what it was but I got it out of him anyway and he said use PPG paint with the flexor additive. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had good success with any type of paints, not spots paints real paint from top to bottom.

My other question is how to remove the hood on the GPR's. I removed the screws and tries pulling from the back like I have read but the damn thing wont come off and I DO NOT WANNA BREAK IT. I'm real good at that precuscion mantiance and don't want to have more on my plate lol. SO any you guys have any safe helpful hints for removing the hood? Thanks for your time and any info is better than none. The sooner the better.

Thanks ---Drew

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    which hood are you talking about?

Cowels?
    Wind Screen?
    Piece around the gauge?

which part are you talking about.. if you don't know.. just take a picture and on like microsoft paint circle it or something.. and I can help you

The part thats usually colored, not the cover over the storage box, and not the black around the guage cluster. I'm talking about the peace that's colored and has six bolts that holds it on. I have seen a picture of one removed and it lookes like it has some kinda of glue behind it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDrew66854 View Post
    The part thats usually colored, not the cover over the storage box, and not the black around the guage cluster. I'm talking about the peace that's colored and has six bolts that holds it on. I have seen a picture of one removed and it lookes like it has some kinda of glue behind it.
    pictures are better than words..

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67466 You're probably describing the side fairings! It looks like they take a bit of effort to pop off.

Yes its def. the side pannels I'm talkin about. I took all the bolts off and tried pullin on it but it seems to be on there really good and I dont want to break it. Where is the best place to start pulling on it from? and also what do I need to put on it when i go to reinstall it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDrew66854 View Post
    Yes its def. the side pannels I'm talkin about. I took all the bolts off and tried pullin on it but it seems to be on there really good and I dont want to break it. Where is the best place to start pulling on it from? and also what do I need to put on it when i go to reinstall it?
    those are called the cowels..

If you have taken all 5 bolts off like I think you said, I would start from the front tip like at the front of the ski and kind of pull on it.. then move to the middle and pull then to the back...

when I took mine off the first time, it sounded like they were breaking in half, then it just popped off.

Thread Information