I've gained another horse in the stable

Picked up a 95 SL750 today. Bought a double trailer that had the 750, and a Yamaha GP1200. The 750 doesn't run. The wiring harness looks fried. Some wires are burnt near the box that sits on top the battery. I've not gotten the chance to dig into it anymore, I'm working on buttoning up the 650 I've got.

What would cause a wiring harness to burn up like this?

I tried to roll it over just to see what would happen and it just clicks. I'm not sure if any power is getting to the starter.

What should I look at to get this up and running?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CalledFollower View Post
    ...95 SL750
    ...The wiring harness looks fried. Some wires are burnt near the box that sits on top the battery...
    What would cause a wiring harness to burn up like this?

I tried to roll it over just to see what would happen and it just clicks. I'm not sure if any power is getting to the starter.

What should I look at to get this up and running?
    Check whether the plastic cover for the battery is missing.

If the positive post of the battery shorts to the electrical box casing, it can fry the black wire in the harness that runs to the electrical stator at the front of the engine.

Depending on which wire is toasted, and how extensive the damage is, you may be able to splice in some new wire.

Click but no crank. Could be a few things. Starter solenoid, inside the electric box. Also confirm that the battery negative and positive cables are clean and tight, at both ends of each heavy cable, including the engine block end of the negative.

Start with the toasted wires first, of course. Check that all grounds are clean, and actually provide a solid electrical connection back to the engine block.

You know now that I think about it, I don't think that the black "cover" is there, and I think the fried wire is a black one. Is the black wire you talk about very large? The one that is fried looks fairly small.

I know the motor rolls, I rolled it over a few times by hand. So I think either the starter is bad, or its not getting juice.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    It would be the small blk wire going to the stator. Some also say that wire can be burned by having bad-dirty ground connection at the engine bed tray. You should make sure you have a good charged battery, and clean elect. connections before you diagnose a bad starter.

The ski has sat for at least a year or two, so I think I'm going to pull the motor and give it a good going over. If its just this one wire, can I just run a new wire for it, or do I need to replace more?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CalledFollower View Post
    The ski has sat for at least a year or two, so I think I'm going to pull the motor and give it a good going over.
    If its just this one wire, can I just run a new wire for it, or do I need to replace more?
    As long as you end up with the correct ohm values for the stator coils, as measured from the electrical box end of the harness, and the repairs are water tight and vibration resistant, you can certainly replace just the burned wire.

Be sure the electrical connections between the stator coil body, the engine block ground, and the black wire, all all solid.

Thread Information