Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Second place is really just the first loser." YSAVE's Avatar

Anyone know what caused this?

anybody know what caused this? Vacuum leak maybe?? It's the #3 cylinder..

I just ordered a bunch of parts to completely rebuild this engine, and I don't want this to happen again. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 008.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	86341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 009.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	86342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 010.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	86343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 011.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	86344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 012.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	86345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 013.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	86346  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200r 003.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	86347  

+1
    Lean seizure.Not enough fuel.Were you running Flame arrestors with untouched carbs? Your piston wash is very minimal.How many hours on motor?

Hi, it has stock air intake.. Everything on this ski is completely stock.. The hours are unknown.. I bought the ski with a seized engine and was unable to check the hours.. It was sitting behind the guy's garage for 3-4 years he said.. The cat converter is in great shape, so I'm guessing the hours are low.. When I got the ski there was a ton of sand in the prop housing, and mulch ( yes mulch!) in the water jackets.. Makes me wonder if the internal filter in the carbs got clogged causing restricted fuel??

+1
    I would check the oil lines make sure one of them did not come off. looks like that piston got good and hot. what do the other two look like?

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YSAVE View Post
    Hi, it has stock air intake.. Everything on this ski is completely stock.. The hours are unknown.. I bought the ski with a seized engine and was unable to check the hours.. It was sitting behind the guy's garage for 3-4 years he said.. The cat converter is in great shape, so I'm guessing the hours are low.. When I got the ski there was a ton of sand in the prop housing, and mulch ( yes mulch!) in the water jackets.. Makes me wonder if the internal filter in the carbs got clogged causing restricted fuel??
    cooling system got clogged up with sand and mulch causing engine to over heat I supect! Be sure to rebuild carbs with a carb rebuild kit which has all the new rubber parts replaced in the carbs too! Tommy Jordan
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 08-01-2008 at 09:04 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YSAVE View Post
    Oh,you left out the sand/mulch part out when i first replied. Like Tommy said,could be from water blockage.After looking at the piston pics,there IS wash there,the heat just baked it on.

Chine Walker
    Same thing happened to me on a EFI ski; still haven't found what caused it... Checked all cooling hoses and pump strainer and found nothing. Mine was on cyl. 3.

jp

the other two pistons are almost perfect. all the oil lines were tight as well.. The carbs still had pressure in them when I pulled the fuel line too.. I'm switching over to premix anyways, just to be on the safe side.. I'll have to check the carbs and see what they look like.

Anyone think that cyl can be honed? I'm going to the machine shop tomorrow to see what they think. The scratches are just enough to catch with your fingernail.

+1
    Anyone think that cyl can be honed? I'm going to the machine shop tomorrow to see what they think. The scratches are just enough to catch with your fingernail.

Possibly... I have honed some out that looked like that, but you must use a special dimond hone for nicasil

I'll try to take the carbs apart this weekend.. Thanks for all the help guys!! I'll keep you updated on the build with pics!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information