Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advent CDI issues

Has anybody had an issue where the Advent CDI revs to high when sitting on the trailer. I have mine set on the Stinger curve and it works great on the water, but when I crank it on land on the trailer it will rev high and I have to put on the choke. After choking it and opening back to normal it will idle normal. Not a big problem, but somewhat annoying.

+1
    You are running lean on the trailer. I wouldn't suspect your ignition. I'd suspect a case leak or a borderline lean carb condition.

+1
    you know yellow bird does the same thing but it has a dominator intake manifold that is known for this issue.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Hey look who's here, BIG JOE!!!

+1
    Yeah, I own a yamaha so.... I figured I had a reason to post here since the other site has become a nazi comunist plot to destroy my beloved gpr.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego-gpr
    the other site has become a nazi comunist plot to destroy my beloved gpr.
    ROFLMAO!!!!

Im with the other guys i would be looking for a lean condition before i was worried about cdi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego-gpr
    Yeah, I own a yamaha so.... I figured I had a reason to post here since the other site has become a nazi comunist plot to destroy my beloved gpr.
    Now that right there is funny!! I don't care who you are!

11..your dream ski is on the way, get your money out, this is the real deal from Kawi. 230hp and a new hull that goes 70 without touching a thing. I told you so.

The reason I say it is the CDI is because it didn't do that when I had the stock CDI in it. When I installed the Advent is when it happened. It also doesn't do it when I use the enhanced stock curve. It only does it when I use the stinger 3 curve.

CDI

Thats an interesting problem, but since it operates OK on the water, I would tend to agree with the others on lean run on. The dynamics of the curve you selected you selected may exacerbate the lean situation more than the other two.....if is a lean problem and not a CDI issue. A lean run on can continue without ignition, and for this reason the rev limit is useless.

I had a long two hour chat with the owner of Advent last week. He is totally committed to producing a top quality CDI, so if the problem is not a lean run on, you should give him a call to discuss. His name escapes me at this moment, sorry.

One other issue you may want to check on is worn throttle valves. When the brass valves wear on the sides (due to no, or improper shimming), the vacuum signal is reduced (given the same throttle stop setting), and air velocity past the idle bleed hole is reduced. Both of these conditions result in less fuel being drawn in and atomized when the throttle is released to return to idle. I had a slight run on problem (on the stand only) years ago, on a set of stock 38mm twins. They were on a SJ with all the usual mods, and jetting was two numbers richer then ideal on the high, one, maybe two on the low. Replacing the valves solved the problem, AND, the craft was easier to start, and idled much better. The wear occures over a long time, so the deterioration of the starting and idling qualities can go unnoticed until the problems are unbearable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information