msx 150 possible intercooler trouble

Just got my craft out of the shop . I had it out and would only go 5000 rpm .However it will only start the first time when its placed in the water . I have to tip the machine to its right to get the exhaust out of the water .Could this be caused by my the intercooler tank . There is no engine light on , and it starts right up when its out of the water . However it will not start when left in the water //can someone help me here this has been going on for the last three years and the dealer as no idea what to do with this craft ..desparate for help .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

Update your profile, so we can keep track of who has what, and where.

What makes you think the inter-cooler is the problem?

These Weber engines have a sensitivity to oil levels. The markings on the dipstick are misleading, and often lead to over filling the oil.

If you fill it to the 'full' mark when the engine is cold, you are actually overfilling the oil. Then oil gets pushed into the intake tract, where it can contaminate some sensors and possibly clog up the inter-cooler, especially if some water spray gets mixed with the air flow into the engine.

Once the oil has messed up the sensor(s), they may need to be replaced.

Do some searching on here to find other MSX 110 and MSX 150 owners who have had issues with oil contamination.
    Last edited by K447; 08-02-2008 at 09:56 PM.

+1
    The subject of oil in the airbox/turbo compressor/intercooler/intake manifold/MAP sensors has been discussed many times.... yet the fix is so simple.

The oil vapor vent hose going from the top of the the oil cyclone to the turbo inlet air box should be routed elsewhere. Route the above vent hose away from the incoming engine air charge. There are two basic options: 1-) a catch can or 2-) venting overboard using a simple check valve in case the ski is tipped over. Once done, this issue will be behind you forever.... as a bonus, you will be able to run your oil level higher around 1/2 quart additional.

+1
    Interesting approach, much like the Kawi guys.

intercooler trouble

Yeah I had the Oil tank changed apparently there was a recall on the oil tank here in Canada .
    I had the sensors changed , turbo changed ,plugs changed , the compression is good .
    any help would be good
    Dana

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe dana View Post
    ...However it will only start the first time when its placed in the water . I have to tip the machine to its right to get the exhaust out of the water...
    Is it possible the battery is old/weak?

So often we hear about problems that turn out to be caused by, or complicated by, a weak battery. Not a discharged battery, but one that has internally weakened from age or abuse.

If there is any question regarding the health of your battery, I suggest replacing it with an AGM type battery. Plenty of cranking power, no possibility of acid spill or leakage, and vibration tough.

This sounds almost exactly like what my ski is doing. See the post I made earlier on a different thread. Would like any further info you have or if you have had this fixed what was the fix. Thanks.

OK all it's been a year and I am still having issues. For a quick recap: My ski was rolled last July and it was overfilled with oil, so oil got into the system and fouled some stuff up. My boost only went about half way up and my max RPM was about 5650. So far I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned out the intercooler, replaced the MAP and BOOST sensors and cleaned the intake where they are attached. I ran the ski and still had the same results. After doing some reading it was said that even if faulty sensors are replaced the ECU codes still need to be cleared to got the ski out of safe mode. This morning I had the codes pulled and it had the following codes: P108 (MAP Sensor Circuit), P113 (Intake air Temp), P130 (O2 Sensor Circuit Error), P135 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit), P171 (Fuel System), P237 (Boost Pressure Sensor), P243 (Wastegate Selenoid), P1260 (PTO Injector Open), P1263 (Mag Injector Open). The codes were all cleared except for P135 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit), it would not clear. Shop recommended cleaning it with brakekleen, so i did and ran the ski and still faulty. This time my max RPM is 5050 RPM and still only half boost. I tried disconnecting the O2 sensor and no change. Any more suggestions before trying a new O2 sensor? Thank you all.

If it wont start in the water and / or after warming up, you should do a compression test while cold and then do another after bringing the engine up to operating temperature. If the compression is low, it wont start under load. Also try the battery, as K-447 suggested.

Regards,
    Randy

FIXED IT !!!!!! Thank you all for your help !! Well with all your help, I started digging for the Throttle Body Isolator and in the process found one hose clamp missing and one hose almost completely off the turbo because the clamp slipped over the neck. I fixed both of these issues and the ski runs normal once again. Once again thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsscraig View Post
    FIXED IT !!!!!! Thank you all for your help !! Well with all your help, I started digging for the Throttle Body Isolator and in the process found one hose clamp missing and one hose almost completely off the turbo because the clamp slipped over the neck. I fixed both of these issues and the ski runs normal once again. Once again thank you all.
    Well not completely fixed. Ran great for a couple hours, then idle started surging from 1650 - 2100 RPM's and WOT would max out at 6000 RPM's. I am thinking maybe I did not get all my oil out of the intercooler. Pulled the MAP and BOOST sensor and they looked clean, no oil to be found. Reinstalled them and still same issues. Now I am stuck again. Closest place to clear my codes with a digitalwrench is 3 hours away. ARGHHH. Any more suggestions?

Thread Information