Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats the best way to bring back shine on gel coat

Their are a cuple light spots on my pwcs from the sun how can I bring it back to new looking I seen the thread on waxs but I want to bring back the shine. I seen something about steal wool does that work? what type of steal wool, super fine or fine, corse?

You could try some Meguiars Color restorer. There are 2 kinds - 44 which is meduim and 49 which is heavy duty. Follow that with a coat of cleaner wax... Ron

+1
    It depends on how bad the oxidation is. If it's not too bad then use a machining glaze to remove it and put some shine back on it. The really bad oxidation requires wetsanding with 1500 - 2000 grit then machine polishing.
    Chemical restorers are mostly just temporary. You have to remove the oxidation to get the shine back.
    Go to an auto body paint supplier and talk to them about their products. They're usually much more knowledgable about this issue than an auto parts store.

+1
    I agree with ziggy to a point. If your gel coat is really bad you need to wet sand then high buffing machine set to #2-3,(not to fast or you'll burnish the finisf) and use liquid rubbing compound, followed by medium compound and then finishing glaze; and then wax! The problem with skis is most of the surfaces are to small/tight to use the wheel, except the nose/bow area. A relatively enexspensive product that I have used is Gel Gloss. This stuff is non abrasive, but has a pretty strong chemical cleaner that with a bit of mussle and a lot of clean rags will get the oxidation out. Either way It's a pain in the ass. Back to black is great on plastics(any color). It gets wax and oxidation out of the textured plastic surfaces. Use a nylon bristle brush or you wifes tooth brush(better scratch that last one or you'll be sleeping on the couch) for good results on the textured surfaces.
    OBJ

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

my gel coat is totally trashed

this 98 gtx-rfi I picked up recently was left outside to rot..the gel coat is really really bad..don't think I'm ready to put that much effort into sanding and buffing it. Open to other suggestions.

Actually under the hood area, the gel is pretty nice..but the rest of it is a dull as dishwater or a babe that drinks way too much every day.

so I guess plain ould rubbing compound won't do it..might give it a try under the lettering which I have to finish cleaning up before I apply new ones.

Shame..a $10 tarp would have gotten this guy at least $200 more..as the seat was also thrashed from baking in 105 degree sun.

I will give it a try the buffer that is I have 3M compound,Another Question say I get her looking sweet again. You think I can spray some clearcoat on it again the reason I ask is I just painted a hood for my truck and I had to buy a gallon of clearcoat. It has a shelf life so I need to use it on something I got enough to give it a good three four coats enough to give it a good wet sanding and buffing then I won't have to worry about the paint fade so much.

Yeah a cover some people just don't think I just got both my skis one was coved and one was not, man what a differance. Makes my want to smack someone just some good old TLC changes everything.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashelgren View Post
    Yeah a cover some people just don't think I just got both my skis one was coved and one was not, man what a differance. Makes my want to smack someone just some good old TLC changes everything.

mine are in my carport, but the black one gets a tiny bit of sun light on it everyday and its starting to ghet a bit of fade in it

+1
    I bought a red '98 STXI from an alcoholic who rode it for 20 hrs then parked it in the back yard for 8 years. Gel looked pink on the horizontal surfaces. Removed the decals, sanded it with 1500 and 2 grades of compound. After waxing it looked like new, you wouldn't know it was the same ski.

+1
    That's a lota work isn'y it Ziggy? Nice to hear your work was worth it.

OBJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information