Txi leak and more problems than I expected

Have been collecting water in the hull on a 2001 Txi. Decided to change the carrier seals. Broke all 4 bolts holding the jet on. They looked like they were installed really deep, as in few threads showing. Spent the morning removing the pump inlet housing. What a whore. No bolts to grab onto to break the sealant. Had to drill out and tap one of the holes to get a bolt to use. Also found the water pipe broken and no inlet screen. When I went to order parts, found out the dealer had left out the pump wedge. Always wondered why it rode different than my 2002.

Need to know if anyone has a source for parts. Will try to save the pump inlet housing, but need bolts, a wedge and water pipe.

Hotter than hell here in Charleston. All I can do is look at the water for now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaristxi View Post
    Have been collecting water in the hull on a 2001 Txi. Decided to change the carrier seals.

Broke all 4 bolts holding the jet on. They looked like they were installed really deep, as in few threads showing. Spent the morning removing the pump inlet housing. What a whore. No bolts to grab onto to break the sealant. Had to drill out and tap one of the holes to get a bolt to use.

Also found the water pipe broken and no inlet screen.
    The pump wedge affects the angle and length of the water pipe connection.

When I went to order parts, found out the dealer had left out the pump wedge.
    That is why the bolts were in so deep, without the wedge thickness.

Always wondered why it rode different than my 2002.

Need to know if anyone has a source for parts. Will try to save the pump inlet housing, but need bolts, a wedge and water pipe.
    If you can get a used pump base for a good price, consider doing so. Just be sure it has the same number of siphon tube fittings as your current pump (my 2002 Virage TXi has two, some pumps have one or zero siphon tubes).

Pump bolt lengths vary depending on the wedge, so be sure you get the right length (or part number).

Hotter than hell here in Charleston. All I can do is look at the water for now.
    For used parts, contact John Zigler.

For new parts, try Babbits parts house, Watcon.com, or www.atlanticpowersports.com

Some guys have found that the plastic threaded fitting that actually goes through the hull can come loose.

Check it carefully once you have the drive shaft out. If it is loose, or the threads are stripped, be sure to fix it and seal it to the hull well.

If you don't have it already, here are the Polaris Service manuals.

+1
    Zig should be able to hook you up.
    You can start filling the hull with water (nose up) and check for leaks out of the hull.
    Don't fill it past the bottom of the electrical boxor the carb intake.

Checked with Zig, no luck. Will try to drill out the broken ends and than order new. This is the 3rd inlet housing I have had to replace for corrosion in the bolt threads. Polaris doesn't seal the back side of the threaded hole, so it is exposed to (in our area) salt water. They had a great idea when they designed the drive unit. Just needed to finish it off with a little sealant.

Water was coming from the broken cooling water pipe and coupling seals.

Guess I'll have to break down and put the Hurricane in the water until the big ski is fixed.
    Last edited by polaristxi; 08-03-2008 at 06:24 AM.

Thread Information