To HE77 with Georgia!

Broken Throttle Lever.. Please help

I have a 96 SL900. The thumb throttle is now broken. I had already rotated it to use as a finger throttle, but now that it's broken, I want to take the opportunity to put a proper finger throttle on it.

I already tried with a bike-brake lever, but it doesn't have enough travel. It'd only allow about 2/3 throttle. This is a cheap ski, I don't think I'll even bother replacing the MFD. When I sell it, someone will get a fun little ski for cheap. I say that to point out I don't want to spend $80 on a couple pieces of metal with a pivot point.

Anyone got a suggestion or input, lay it on me. My ski is out of commission this weekend and that makes me sad. The repair shops are all 50ish+ miles away, and the either don't answer their damn phones, or the parts departments can't read a freakin' message to call back... oh well, guess I'm saving money on gas this weekend..

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I think John Zigler has a new one for about 35.00.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Or try atlanticjetsports.com for a nice cheapy.

upgrade from those 96 ish grips as well mate

+1
    i do have finger throttles here, new aluminum in silver and black. 30.00 + s&h

msx finger throttle

I have a 2000 slx and I just ordered the 2004 MSX 150 throttle lever to put on my original slx perch. Its the same set up just different lever. All I did was spin the throttle around and swap the lever out and it works awesome, one finger throttle now, I love it.

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    upgrade from those 96 ish grips as well mate
    You talking about the rubber grips on the bars? That was the first thing I replaced when I picked up the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    i do have finger throttles here, new aluminum in silver and black. 30.00 + s&h
    Do you know if they will pull enough of the cable to open the throttle completely? Any pictures (website?)?
    Last edited by GT_Rambo; 08-03-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rambo View Post
    You talking about the rubber grips on the bars? That was the first thing I replaced when I picked up the ski.

Do you know if they will pull enough of the cable to open the throttle completely? Any pictures (website?)?
    i bet , the thing with all those older skis is that the grips look stupid and they slip off

if you have an issue with the carbs not opening all the way you will need to back the cable out of out the threading a little bit to adjust it just a tad you would prolly needed to do that even with a factory one ,

take care and good luck buddy , see if he has the 2 peice kind , i got lucky and the new grips i installed didnt cure or stick to well to the bars and with a little ummmphhhhh i got em off but most will need to be cut off if you dont buy a 2 peice which dont need the grips off to install ,

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    i bet , the thing with all those older skis is that the grips look stupid and they slip off

if you have an issue with the carbs not opening all the way you will need to back the cable out of out the threading a little bit to adjust it just a tad you would prolly needed to do that even with a factory one ,

take care and good luck buddy , see if he has the 2 peice kind , i got lucky and the new grips i installed didnt cure or stick to well to the bars and with a little ummmphhhhh i got em off but most will need to be cut off if you dont buy a 2 peice which dont need the grips off to install ,

Yeah. That adjustment only takes up slack. It doesn't give you more total travel/pull. Adjusting the cable anymore than I ahve it set now, and the carbs would be partly open even with the lever released.

And I've already managed to get the grip off the bar. A little bit of soap in water does wonders for installing and removing them.

well there is the adjusters at the carbs as well ,

and if that doesnt do they trick then rig something up

Thread Information