Help Thinking of buying a 2001 Gp1200R

HI everyone I,m Thinking of buying a GP1200R with about 100 hrs on it looks great runs good what kind of up dates or maintence will I exspect to do. Also some one said they thought the cranks went bad don't know new to this one. Any idaes help on what I should do now or In the future. How much are they worth Etc. thanks for your help. Baggerbill

+1
    Hey Bill Welcome to the Hulk..

The GPR platform is a solid and fast one. The mods are endless. 100 hr's is not that much if it was maintained. Updates remove the CAT and install a D-plate Reinforce the tunnel and have fun. Price will very 3500-4500????

+1
    add waveeater clips and couplers to that list and you will have several more years of fun.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for your imput, I think I'll buy it. Baggerbill

3 x 1800 feeding my obsession sconti stellari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baggerbill59 View Post
    HI everyone I,m Thinking of buying a GP1200R with about 100 hrs on it looks great runs good what kind of up dates or maintence will I exspect to do. Also some one said they thought the cranks went bad don't know new to this one. Any idaes help on what I should do now or In the future. How much are they worth Etc. thanks for your help. Baggerbill
    keep tabs on the compression, rings may start wearing out.
    run good oil like amsoil
    other than that have fun and good luck

I just recently bought an '00 and I had the same question as you.

I put waveeater clips and couplers on it right off the bat. buy them at the store here, you'll get a discount if you put in the coupon code. I also bought a d-plate and chip / clip / resistor thing, but that's not necessary until the cat goes or until you have the pipe out for something else. I also went with a R&D / Riva intake great. It helps out a lot in the chop I ride in, and these folks here say the intake is a must-do if you're going to mod your ski. Other than that, just run decent oil (i've been running the amsoil) and have fun. I try to not run WOT all the time just to not beat it up so bad, but it still gets plenty of abuse.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper_dave View Post
    I just recently bought an '00 and I had the same question as you.

I put waveeater clips and couplers on it right off the bat. buy them at the store here, you'll get a discount if you put in the coupon code. I also bought a d-plate and chip / clip / resistor thing, but that's not necessary until the cat goes or until you have the pipe out for something else. I also went with a R&D / Riva intake great. It helps out a lot in the chop I ride in, and these folks here say the intake is a must-do if you're going to mod your ski. Other than that, just run decent oil (i've been running the amsoil) and have fun. I try to not run WOT all the time just to not beat it up so bad, but it still gets plenty of abuse.
    I agree with everything except the D-plate statement. Change it before you have a meltdown. I have seen too many posts about guys losing motors when the cat disintegrates and overheats the engine.

+1
    These can be bullet proof if you take care of the issues everyone has mentioned. I had over 200 hours on my bottom end of my 2000 before I sold it. I have a 2001 with 140 hours on it and still running strong.
    1 thing that was not mentioned yet is the oil injection system. There is a lot of us who have had the oil lines come off of the carbs. I think the pumps may last forever but the lines will not. I know on the 2000 and 2001 the oil lines are secured to the carbs with nothing more than extrememly small zip ties. Either go premix or use some other type of clamp to make sure these lines will not come off. This can be done when you remove the pipe to put in the D-plate.
    Other than that, ride it like you stold it.

Thread Information