Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Turbo disscussion about rec use.

I have read most turbo threads and everybody is saying if you dont like to wrench often dont go turbo.

I see turbo setups and i think they are very simple and not complex at all. I think once you get the thing dialled in fuel wise there is no reason it should change unless you add more boost. My goal for my ski is to have a reliable as ski that can do 80 MPH any day of the week. Now there are huge problems with running superchargers on these skis and personally i think they are a piece of shit. But i dont mid pulling them out every hundred hours and rebuilding them but im not quite sure which supercharger will get me 80 and be reliable as in no touch downs and going through clutches every 5 mins, etc. The other thing to is i dont want to go to a new ecu and rev higher. What are the chances of doing 80 on a stock ECU?

At the moment im running a stage 2 setup with a green wheel and has been going ok but i need more. Currently im hitting 74.3 MPH. Im currently doing the head up with Ferrea Light weight valves and rotax racing retainers but i still dont want to be turning the higher RPM most skis do.

Now my question is there more to it when building a turbo that i dont know about and do they actually require more maintainence?

Also why is every one so aginst using them for rec use?

Also i love the bottom end of the supercharger as i like to carve bouys every now and then. Would this be a problem on a turbo with the lag?
    Last edited by rick xp; 08-02-2008 at 05:10 PM.

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Well Be Patient Because Your Wish Is Almost Completed. In The Middle Of Building Just That. It Will Be Available Real Soon In The Online Store

+1
    There are a handful of stock ECU ski's over 80 mph. I've gone 81 on a turbo and 9secZO6 has gone nearly 83. My goal is 85 on the stock ECU with no hull mod's.

As far as reliability goes, I ride mine recreationally and the only problems I've had are...
    - Getting the F/IC sorted out. It took a few trips to the river to figure out I had to clamp the MAP sensor voltage.
    - An exhaust joint that came apart and caused erratic engine power. This is now welded.
    - HEAT! It hasn't caused problems on my ski yet, but for long-term 100% reliability, we have to get the engine bay heat under control. Hint: Insulation ain't gonna cut it.
    - My BOV quit working, probably due to moisture/corrosion. Good thing these aren't necessary. . .

I decided to go turbo/stock ECU to save money. Large SC'ers are $2-3k. Aftermarket ECU's are $1-1.5k, but then you need valvetrain work for another $500. Then, you have to deal with more frequent clutch problems, plus some are having piston failures when running higher than stock rpm's. All-in-all, you spend $3500 on just 2 parts that most think are required to go 80 mph.

With the turbo/stock ECU, you spend $750 for a new Garret GT turbo, fab the hot-parts yourself (or wait to see what Hydro comes up with), injectors and RRFPR or AEM F/IC for $500, and you're out of pocket less than $2000 with potential for 400 hp.

I'm about to order a new turbo. My current turbo is 20+ years old and doesn't match the engine very well. In the process, I'll re-build my downpipe for better heat control and also re-think my turbine snail insulation. Once I get the new turbo sorted out, I'll set it up around 17 psi (85 mph hopefully) with an appropriate prop and just ride it recreationally. I'm even going to put an over-boost fuel-cut in the F/IC to protect the engine in case of an incident, just like the OEM auto's do!

Mike
    Last edited by engineermike; 08-02-2008 at 05:34 PM.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    good info mike.......always enjoy ur posts......is that the maximum amount of boost that u can run on 93 octane?
    What kind of power would a larger displacement engine run using that boost....say 1800 cc?
    Thx again....ur posts r always a wealth of information....

+1
    Hey Rick
    Turbo setups are not that hard if you take your time and set it up correctly
    Find someone who has actually built one (not someone who thinks they can build one)and pick there brains for infomation
    there is plenty of good infomation on these boards so read up!
    If you need any help you can call me at woodbine marine
    Last edited by race jase; 08-02-2008 at 06:16 PM.

+1
    Hydrojunkie what are you building? Is it a full turbo kit or parts for a DIY kit?

Mike what do you mean you had to clamp the map sensor? What pressure is the stock one good for?

Also you are saying the heat is a bit of an issue. Are your pipes waterjacketed or just wrapped?

+1
    Hey Jase.

What are some of the problems you have had with your turbo ski? Do you guys have problems with heat?

+1
    The heat is pretty intense, and even if u insulate/remove everything near the turbos exh side, the hull gets so hot there that as soon as u come off plane and get wash over the back of the ski, that area dry in 5 seconds! Very hot to the touch and my hull is slightly discolored underneath (looks fine outside. We are gonna need hull ventilation that u would never use on a rough-water ski. Plenty air in, and plenty air out. I still have to do a pump shoe replacement, but I see no issues w/ someone who wants to run 16-18psi and a stock ecu to get 80+. Mine pulled so hard I think it could of used a good bit more prop and got more speed out of just another # of boost due to low rpm ecu. I have too much going on right now, but every few days I dream up ventilation ideas. It's just nice to have the plan dead-nutts b4 u cut the hull

+1
    9seczo6 thanks for your input. I never thought the inside of the hull would get that hot.

So even with everything waterjacketed there is still that intense heat in the hull?

Im starting to realise its not that you cant ride a turbo ski for rec use but its a case of not practical more than anything.
    Last edited by rick xp; 08-02-2008 at 06:52 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    good info mike.......always enjoy ur posts......is that the maximum amount of boost that u can run on 93 octane?
    What kind of power would a larger displacement engine run using that boost....say 1800 cc?
    Thx again....ur posts r always a wealth of information....
    Thanks!

I've heard of folks going past 22 psi on pump gas, but I won't be doing this because I think long-term reliability will suffer.

I think more displacement would add power. However, there's a big disadvantage to that route. You see, with speed-density injection, the stock ECU has the engine size and VE programmed. You can't change this. But, with ported heads, bigger cams, and more cid's, these change. You begin to run into limits of the stock injection.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information