Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbee questions for a polaris slt 780!!

Hello People!!

Im hoping that someone can give me a little advise on my jet ski.
    ive just purchased my first pwc which is a polaris 1996 slt780.
    ive had it for a couple of weeks and intend on doing some of the upkeep myself (to try and keep down the costs) and only call in the experts as a last resort, is this a good idea as i dont have alot of experience with engines but i am quite practical.
    Ive bought a workshop manual and have managed to sort out a problem with the display unit ( it wasnt working and had been cut off in the main electric box because it was constantly showing and beeping low fuel, the tank had been replaced because off a problem with it and the sender but it hadnt been reconected) Now it is working fine.
    I intend to take it out next weekend, is there anything i need to look out for in particular?
    Also is this jet ski powerfull enough to pull a donut etc?
    I also need to get some fogging oil as there is a reservoir, can i get this from any local stores? Is there anything else i can use? and how often should i fog it?
    Sorry for all the Questions

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Even though you have a paper manual, you should download the 1992-1998 Polaris Factory Service Manual from here.

Do some searching and reading on these forums. There is a lot of information regarding the common maintenance and update items that you should focus on.

You have a Fuji 780 engine, but most maintenance stuff applies across the Fuji engine line; 650, 750, 780.
    The Fuji 785 is a different engine, in many ways.

If the fuel lines have not been replaced, they are a commonly replaced item. Not hard to do. You already have the triple outlet fuel pump, so you don't have to do that upgrade.

If there is ANY question about the internal state of the carbs, they should be taken apart and cleaned. The number one way to damage these engines is to run them with a dirty or gummed up carb, or other problems in the fuel system.

Your SLT has enough power to pull a tube. Be aware that some places legally require you to have a driver, a spotter facing backwards, AND room on the PWC for every person on the tube. That means only one person on the tube, for a three seat PWC.

If you cannot find liquid fogging oil for your fogging reservoir, buy the spray can fogging oil, which is sold in many places. Spray it into the carb intakes with the engine running, per the instructions in the Service Manual, or on the can.

Before you start taking passengers for rides and pulling tubes, spend some time getting familiar with how your PWC works on the water, and how to ride it well.

Also be sure to check it over completely before you launch, and check frequently for proper engine cooling, no water leaks into the bilge, on so on.

Be sure you are seeing the proper peak engine RPM at wide open throttle. If the peak RPM is low, that often indicates a problem with the engine or the carbs, which should be looked into ASAP. Do NOT ride it without attending to all outstanding issues, or you risk serious engine damage (which can happen in just minutes).

Minimum Polaris recommended octane is 89. Suggest you try to buy gasoline without ethanol. In some areas, that means premium gasoline. Do NOT try to burn old gasoline - these engines don't like it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Polaris.

Those are nice skis, but be prepared to do a little updating of the fuel system. A little money invested in that will keep that ski reliable for many years to come.

If you ever find that using the choke helps the ski run better, that's an indication of a lean (not enough fuel) condoition. That can lead to engine trouble. Avoid Wide Open Throttle if you experience this, as you'll surely have problems that follow.

Plenty enough power to pull a tube, or do a donut. (92+HP)

Local auto parts stores will carry fogging oil. I believe you can substitute it with 2 stroke oil, but I'd use the right stuff to be sure.

Your ski will need use TCW III rated 2 stroke oil.

Fog the engine if it's going to be unused for a few days or more. Or if you ever suspect water has entered the engine.

+1
    Hi polaris, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Are you sure it's a fogging tank and not the tank for your 2 stroke oil? How about a photo??

The info ive got off you guys is great!!
    Ill make sure i take it easy when i finally get it out there.
    Im from england, ive been told i need to use unleaded, but it seems we dont have as much choice as you!
    Im trying to find a few bits for it at the moment which include:
    rubber seat seal and battery straps
    Does anyone know where i might get them here in england?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Try a google search, although I'm sure new parts will be very pricey.

The battery straps are only bungee cords. See if you can find some small ones locally. Preferably all rubber.

hi..............................................ja ck..........................

what maintenance/replacements have you done to the fuel system in the past since this has been ocurring huh?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerman2028 View Post
    Hey guys -

I've been following some threads on the 780 bogging and I've had a problem for the past several seasons that hasn't been much of a problem for my buddy plrs x45 or myself, but if either of our wives drive the boat they are up in arms that it needs to be fixed!! So I figured I would stop lurking on here and get posting!!

So here's the deal - it bogs down a bit and if you feather the throttle it clears up and is fine. If you idle for a while (like in a no-wake zone) it'll bog down and you can feather it a bit up to full throttle and then it's fine for a while.

I have noticed that if I choke it until it dies (or just short of that) I can take off and it will fun better. This is the part I've seen mentioned more recently and is starting to worry me... I've seen replies that "if the choke improves then rebuild carbs/replace fuel lines" or else you may hole a piston...and that's the last thing I want to do.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris View Post
    ...I'm from England, I've been told i need to use unleaded, but it seems we don't have as much choice as you...
    US gasoline octane is measured differently than England petrol.

I think English automotive motor fuel rated above 95 RON octane will be fine for your Polaris PWC engine.

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    hi..............................................ja ck..........................

what maintenance/replacements have you done to the fuel system in the past since this has been ocurring huh?
    Oh crap - sorry guys. I didn't mean to hijack... I actually had thought I was posting a new topic! Should I re-post this somewhere else??

To answer your question - I've done the regular seasonal maintenance and have run the gas out of the carbs each fall, but other than that, not too much. We took it into a dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it.

Thanks

Hi polaris and welcome. I too am from the UK and just like you am new to all this, although I'm an engineer by trade so intend to do all my own maintenance as well.
    As for fuel, UK unleaded is just fine, it's pretty much equivalent to the american premium fuel these days, maybe even a tad higher in octane due to the different measuring methods. AVGAS would be excellent, if you can find a source, but be warned it's expensive!
    For spares, try a search on the internet for JetskiEcosse, based in Irvine, they have a link to the online parts manuals and are pretty helpful. I just ordered a stack of parts for a winter rebuild and the prices were reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information