Which way is up on the exhaust manifold gasket and threebond ?

I pulled the exhaust manifold today to install the crankcase breather and the Riva performance air filter. Not realizing the gasket on the manifold has one side raised I didn't mark which way it came off. Does anyone know which side of the gasket goes towards the engine? Note the gasket seems to fit either way.

Also, I've never used Threebond before and the instructions are rather lacking. I assume it goes on both sides of the gasket. My question is do you spread it thin over the entire gasket (the included spreader tool hints at this) or just put a bead around the metal to metal contact. Do I put the gasket and manifold on immediately or let it setup 30 minutes until no longer tacky? Also, do I need to let it cure after install (24 hours) before cranking / running the engine?

Thanks!

Updating the thread for others ... I'm planning on using a new gasket. I've heard that sealant is not needed in such case and that the raised side of the gasket goes towards the manifold. You would think the service manual would show which side of the gasket goes where....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgray View Post
    Updating the thread for others ... I'm planning on using a new gasket. I've heard that sealant is not needed in such case and that the raised side of the gasket goes towards the manifold. You would think the service manual would show which side of the gasket goes where....
    Actually I believe the Manual suggest you use new gaskets when ever the exhuast is removed..........

Quote Originally Posted by paulgray View Post
    I pulled the exhaust manifold today to install the crankcase breather and the Riva performance air filter. Not realizing the gasket on the manifold has one side raised I didn't mark which way it came off. Does anyone know which side of the gasket goes towards the engine? Note the gasket seems to fit either way.

Also, I've never used Threebond before and the instructions are rather lacking. I assume it goes on both sides of the gasket. My question is do you spread it thin over the entire gasket (the included spreader tool hints at this) or just put a bead around the metal to metal contact. Do I put the gasket and manifold on immediately or let it setup 30 minutes until no longer tacky? Also, do I need to let it cure after install (24 hours) before cranking / running the engine?

Thanks!
    I had the same question but manual doesnt clear this out so i guess both ways are ok.
    USE ONLY NEW GASKETS
    Try the product in pdf for sealing them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information