Banned User

GP1200r Fuel Issues

Hey guys hows it going, i finally got done installing all my mods but when i went to start it today i reallized i was getting no gas flow. The acc. pump and choke plates on the carb are gone, and i am using a primer kit that was installed years ago by a marina (previous owner). The primer kit pulls from the main fuel line and runs down and goes into the carbs through the fittings for the acc. pump. When i went to start the ski it would just turn over and never even sound like it wanted to kick due to a lack of gas. I thought i just had to get some fuel in the lines, but after 20min of fidling i decided to drop some gas in the top of the three cylinders and it kicked over fine. So i then realized that i had a fuel issue. I went ahead and blew many of the lines with air and nothing was clogged, and the path of the main fuel line from the sender to the petcock (red fuel adjuster switch) out to the fuel filter and down to the carbs was not clogged.... So then i went and check the primer kit lines and those were good too. So i grabbed a primer ball and loaded all the lines with fuel... The primer pumped it into the carbs and it kicked over fine. I then turned it off to wheel it out of the garage, went to prime it again and i had no pressure in the system. No fuel was being sucked into the lines by the primer from the main fuel line down to the carbs. When i would try to turn it over nothing would happen. Only when i loaded the lines with fuel would the primer kit work right and the ski turn over. As soon as the lines are emptied you get stuck again. Im not sure if my primer kit is installed wrong or just not working. I can feel it pulling and pushing when i take off the lines and check it, but for some reason when you install the lines and go to use it the primer feels like a vacuum and you will pull it out and it will almost get sucked back in like an air pocket. Any suggestions on how to get around the fuel primer issue, im going out early morning to get a new one, or any ways around the petcock, which is actually frozen at "ON" at the moment. Im Stuck, ive been going at this since 8am and didnt stop until 11:30pm.

I appreciate any suggestions or help
    Last edited by Coveted; 08-02-2008 at 11:13 PM.

+1
    What happens if you crack your fuel cap? pressure or vacuum?

Banned User
    when we removed it to syphon some gas back in the we pumped in and out of lines etc... it never had too much pressure to it.

Banned User
    any fuel line mods i can do that might help??? tommorow i am going to remove the fuel flapper... and from reading around i also heard that you should remove the fuel selector... run from the reserve line... and put the prime on the "ON"/"Main" line.

Banned User
    Im out for the night but im going to tackle this in the morning... any tips on running the fuel lines a different way then stock would be great. bypassing petcock? running off reserve line and how to do it? new way to prime motor? anything to get some more fuel down to my carbs with no choke plates. thanks for the help see you in the morning.

+1
    might want to start by pulling the fuel sending unit and checking to make sure everything is good there. also search there are quite a few posts on fuel system duel fuel supply etc.

+1

I despise primers

When I first got my Exciter it had a bad lean condition on one egine. The problem was the primer had a bad check valve. I replaced the primer & then the condition switched over to the other engine within a few running hours. Another bad valve. I removed both primers and now use plastic cups that totally seal over the spark arresters to ckoke the engine. The engines only need choking the first time before a trip.

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    Bill, If I don't get pressure when I open my gas cap, where do I look? Tank gaskets? How many hose clamps does the sending unit have?

+1
    Three lines go into the tank Return, Main and Reserve. there is also the vent which is a one way check valve. Make sure the arrow points to the tank on this one.

Thread Information