Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ultras?

2008 Ultras?

Has the GIO problem been solved for 2008?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    apparently the issue has been resolved.......myself and some of the other GH members were talking about this earlier today..............check the link.....
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=67615&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
    Has the GIO problem been solved for 2008?
    My impression is that Kawi did not "solve" the problem with 08. May have lessened but not solved the problem. The OCMS kit appears to make the problem "manageable." But thats a huge advance that may be satisfactory for many of us.

Rip

Not knockin you but I can finally read and understand one of your post. LOL

David

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    apparently the issue has been resolved.......myself and some of the other GH members were talking about this earlier today..............check the link.....
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=67615&page=2

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halfassjack View Post
    Rip

Not knockin you but I can finally read and understand one of your post. LOL

David

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    My impression is that Kawi did not "solve" the problem with 08. May have lessened but not solved the problem. The OCMS kit appears to make the problem "manageable." But thats a huge advance that may be satisfactory for many of us.
    OK, well how "manageable?" It seems a lot of people are pissed at Kawa, and some concern about engine reliability is involved.

Is the problem solved with the 08's plus a home mod (catch can, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
    OK, well how "manageable?" It seems a lot of people are pissed at Kawa, and some concern about engine reliability is involved.

Is the problem solved with the 08's plus a home mod (catch can, etc)?
    I can only give my opinion based on my experience, but here it is. My 07 Ultra had a real bad gio problem. Oil level rose enough to foul intercooler just about every other ride, ie within 4 hrs. You can keep siphoning out oil to keep level in check, but then you are progressively thinning the oil which puts engine at risk.

The OCMS seems to have stopped the rise in oil. It still requires management, however, meaning that I must drain stock can after every ride. But thats quick and easy to do by draining through OCMS valve. If you dont follow this step, and allow excess fluid to rise in can, you may be right back to fouling intercooler (and plugs), although it will take a little longer to happen than with stock set up.

I dont think the changes in 08 are sufficient to eliminate the problem. You still need the OCMS or OCMS like modification to prevent or at least minimize gio.

I think there are several factors that affect the occurrence of gio including break in, how hard you ride the ski and cold water temp. (As far as break-in, you can do it by the book and still get gio. Luck and happenstance, and varying manufacturing tolerances come into play).

Yes, many people have gotten angry with Kawi. Ive missed many ride days myself. But I'm happy with my dealer's sincere efforts to solve my various issues as they have arisen, I think the Ultra's hull and features are superior, and the OCMS seems to be a permanent solution so I'm stickin with my 07 and staying optimistic.

Does a hard initial break in help eliminate the problems caused by the rings (I've read that it works for motorcycle engines)? Are there amy other fixes, or the monitoring of the can is enough...?

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    I think Kawi should recall the boat and install OCMS system. 10 hours in between Oil changes is unacceptable
    I bet no dealer tells the customer that you will need to change the oil every 10 hours and it will cost $30-$50 or the motor will fail.
    And that you need a voodoo ritual to check the oil because you can’t believe what the dip stick tells you.

so let's recap GIO is a problem and the best way to find it is to read the oil level but the dip stick don't work correctly so...... why are kawi owners mad?

Hereis a short recap in the oil check as far as i am concerned. Always check it "hot". Hot meaning run ski on hose or water for a short period of time 2-3 minutes....(i know i am going to get crap for this) shut motor off and level motor (ski in water or use level on motor/adjust trailer) and check oil. Use this link for the dipstick explanation.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=stick

I personally start ski on trailer (with no water) for about 20 to 30 seconds... then check oil and use the "hot" marks.....using the dipstick method in link above. Motor needs to be level the whole time.

David
    Last edited by halfassjack; 08-03-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information