XPL stator and rectifier issues help

Hi all.

About a month ago a heard a pop from my engine.. everything ran ok but i noticed by battery alert light on my advent dash came on. I pulled over and noticed the plug poped out of the front of the front engine cover and smoke was coming out.

I took the stator off and had it re-wound. I also run a XP96 rectifier as i run advent t4 ignition and got rid of my MPEM which has the standard rectifier in it.

It all works fine.. but occasionally after a few hard laps the charge drop off and it goes down to around 11.8 volts (it normally cruses at around 13.8 volts). If i back off.. sit around for a bit it charges ok again. I have noticed today when i was out it dropped of charge and i pulled up and opened the hood and heard a burning type grinding noise from the engine (think it was the stator or something). I waited a few secs, it went away and started up and all was good again.

What ever is going wrong, the system seams to recover from it. It may happen once a hour.. and its when im on the noise constantly...

Would it be that my rectifier cant handle the charge from my Stator? and gives up after a while? then cools down and works again? The noise i heard today is really odd.. cant explain it.. it sounded as if the flywheel was still spinning when the engine off and was rubbing on the stator ( i know that cant happen but that the type of sound it was giving off ).

Any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sounds like the bildge pump was what you were hearing. There should also be a relay that breaks the rectifier from the charging circuit when off or it will run your battery down.

The excessive drain is probably a bad battery...the rectifier is killing itself trying to keep up, or you have an intermittent short somewhere. 98's had wiring harness issues...FYI

Hi.

I dont have the stock wiring loom.. fully re-wired ski.. but i didnt put in the relay on the rectifier.. its connected direct to the same circuit as the battery... maybe this be the reason that if i leave my ski for a few weeks it goes flat..

I have a brand new oddesy sealed lead acid battery.. just charged.. plenty of grunt there

That noise wasnt the bilge.. i know that for sure..

Smile

It was backfeeding then. Install a relay to kill voltage to the recifier/stator when off and see if that helps.

+1
    Stator cup rubbing on stator ???

Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Stator cup rubbing on stator ???
    I couldn't tell if the engine was running or not when he heard the noise?

It probably was the mag cup hitting if it was running. This means your #2 crank bearing is toast, allowing the snout of the crank to flex and the mag cup make contact. If this is correct, your newly wound stator will soon be toast, and probably sieze a piston real soon too. Ask me how I know? Pennzoil!

The engine was stopped... it sounded like a cable was sizzling in the front of the engine.. but then it went away and never came back... wierd

Engine is new.. new bearings etc... Doubt it is a bearing issue...

Ok, good...that is what I thought you meant. The relay should cure your problem then.

Thread Information