Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XPL race setup help

Hi All. I am running a 98 XPL and would like some race setup help.

The ski runs the following.

Ported barrels
    ADA 48cc dome (170 psi comp)
    Stock carbs (120 lows, 170 highs, 2.5ml needles)
    Carbon tech reeds
    Coffmans
    R&D waterbox
    advent T4
    R&D scoop grate

I currently run stock pump with a 13/19 dynafly.. It tops out at 61 MPH at 7500 rpm and EGTs of 990. i was hoping more. I bought the impeller based on a reccomendation when i was going to go for a mild rebuild.. is it just too small? Other guys with similar setups are runing 13/24s and habe much more pace than me.. but i have a similar launch..

I was going to go for a Skatty magnum setback with 13/24...

Any suggestions here? I mainly use recreationally but also race closed course.. i would like to achieve between 65 and 67 MPH and still have a decent close course ski.

I also run beachhouse sponsons.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The R&D grate is killing your top speed. Others can advise you on engine setups as I haven't ran a Coffman.

true... the R&D one only has 2 scollop type things on the rails.. i heard they were ok? I also have R&D ride plate which is coming off.. i hear they are no good...

A few guys reccomend the R&D grate for racing for additional hookup..

I though i shoud be getting around 68MPH... but maybe the impeller is wrong.. 13/19 isnt big... 13/21 is stock... so im thinkin going 13/24 may help?

Quote Originally Posted by peachypete82 View Post
    true... the R&D one only has 2 scollop type things on the rails.. i heard they were ok? I also have R&D ride plate which is coming off.. i hear they are no good...

A few guys reccomend the R&D grate for racing for additional hookup..

I though i shoud be getting around 68MPH... but maybe the impeller is wrong.. 13/19 isnt big... 13/21 is stock... so im thinkin going 13/24 may help?
    Hey -

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but would you be able to give me any idea on where to put my high / low screws to begin tuning my new carbs? Stock SBNs on a 98 GSX Limited ... 95 Low Jets (No Accelerator Pump) 170 Mains, and a 2.3 needle an seat ..... so i can at least begin to tune my carbs this week

Quote Originally Posted by radeon View Post
    Hey -

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but would you be able to give me any idea on where to put my high / low screws to begin tuning my new carbs? Stock SBNs on a 98 GSX Limited ... 95 Low Jets (No Accelerator Pump) 170 Mains, and a 2.3 needle an seat ..... so i can at least begin to tune my carbs this week
    Hi... im on about 1.5 turns on lows... .75 on highs at the moment.. but probably should end up on around 1.25 lows an .5 highs at the end

+1
    Hi... im on about 1.5 turns on lows... .75 on highs at the moment.. but probably should end up on around 1.25 lows an .5 highs at the end
    I think you maybe to rich on the carby settings,similar set up (pipe etc, ) my stock carbs had 170h/s , 95 lows no pumps 2.5n/s. high was open 1/4 turn ,low was open 1.5 turns. would chug if idled for to long but as soon as you hit it it would pull clean right through to 7400-7500.

+1
    Ditch the rideplate and intake and go back to stock.. That will give you 2 more MPH.

7500 is a little high for 61mph, considering a stock XPL goes 61-62 at 6900 lol..

990 EGT's are good, with room to go more, so your are probably a little rich.. But with the introduction of a steeper prop, you will load the motor a little higher, so your EGT's will go up.

If you go with the Skat setback, then I would be investing in a 16/20 or a 15/21 prop...

R&D waterbox???? Take it off and install a stock waterbox or an RXX waterbox...

Hey

Whats wrong with the TRD waterboxes?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey

Whats wrong with the TRD waterboxes?
    They suck...

Seriously, they reduce needed backpressure to give strong low-end torque. So...they kill performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information