+1

wear ring question?

a couple af weeks ago race24x and i and a couple of oter skis went for a nice ride down the river out to the ocean,had an awsome time(10-12ftswells) you get the picture.anyway on the way back home it started acting funny, my wear ring broke in half,all bearings are good!i think it sucked in something the leading edge on the impeller has some dings in it that werent there the week before when i changed the oil! anyway heres the issue,i bought the new ring hull seal etc. my old ring had two screws in the top and bottom of the pump into the ring the new on does not have any holes in it for the screws,do i need to pree drill some small pilot holes for the screws or do i just screw them in and let them make holes?i just dont want to ruin the new one.and should i still put locktite on the mating surface with the screws? thanks for the help guys!

I would drill a couple of pilot/starter holes in the wear ring. You can do this after the new wear ring has been pressed into the pump housing. Drill the holes a very short distance, start to screw in the screws, if the screws start to push/deform the wear ring, back the screws back out and drill the holes slightly deeper. I did this process when replacing the wear ring on a RXDI that I owned.
    If you do not want to drill pilot holes, the two screws will push/deform the wear ring down into the impellers path as they are screwed in. The impeller will shave down the circumference of the wear ring (assuming you are using a OEM plastic wear ring) in this case. You will have a bump/deformation where the wear ring retaining screws are in the wear ring. Obviously the impeller to wear ring clearance will be tighter in this area.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Drill the pilot holes like RXP instructed.

+1
    thanks for the info,i will drill them out first! as far as my impeller goes its only some small dings,i can take my dremel tool with a round sanding disc to clean it back up right? i dont want to lose any performance from it!

+1
    and yes its oem replacement ring. sorry i forgot! i still should put locktite on ring to pump surface? even with the screws?

Thread Information