Snapped Exhaust manafold Bolts, how to remove?

I was out riding the other day, and my ski filled with water. After checking out where the leak was I found it was coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. I tried to seal this with some gasket material, but when I was tightening back up the bolts, 2 of them broke. So my questions are how do I replace these bolts that hold the exhaust onto the manifold? Do the come out, and where could I find them, are they special seadoo bolts? I thank all who respond to this.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You should have chased/cleaned the threads with a tap when they were out, to clean out the old 242. Manifold bolts should be tightened @ 30 ft/lbs. You have to drill pilot holes in the SS bolts and tap an easy out in there and try to remove. It's a royal pain. Have fun!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 95xp-dooster View Post
    I was out riding the other day, and my ski filled with water. After checking out where the leak was I found it was coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. I tried to seal this with some gasket material, but when I was tightening back up the bolts, 2 of them broke. So my questions are how do I replace these bolts that hold the exhaust onto the manifold? Do the come out, and where could I find them, are they special seadoo bolts? I thank all who respond to this.
    Yes they are stainless steel bolts,You can drill them out , use a top quality bit,put your exhaust manifold in a vise ,,use a punch to center your hole, then drill it big enough to get an easy out in it (DONT BUY THE CHEAPO EASY OUTS buy a good set)25.00 to 30.00 for small one THen use a propane torch to heat the aluminum before you try to back it out,Since you had the bolts out ,if you did not put loctite on them, you might be able to cut a small cut across top of them to get a flat screwdriver to bite each is different depends on how far they are broken off in there ,Just dont buy a cheap easy out then break it off trying to get bolts out without heat, if you do break it off , youll need a new manifold or someone with a laser cutter.IF you heat it lots with propane torch (you wont melt the aluminum)thats why I say use propane,they will come right out,When you have a leaking joint you dont just tighten it , you open it up clean it , replace the gasket and or bolts!!!for future reference>Marvin

Smile Thank you to all

OK I will give this a go, fire next to gas = good times!

Thanks for the tip about trying to put a cut in the top an backing it out with a flat head, I will try that also. The blots were not broken all the way down, so there is some room after the exhaust is pulled. Thanks again everyone

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 95xp-dooster View Post
    OK I will give this a go, fire next to gas = good times!

Thanks for the tip about trying to put a cut in the top an backing it out with a flat head, I will try that also. The blots were not broken all the way down, so there is some room after the exhaust is pulled. Thanks again everyone
    If there is some of the bolt exposed put a vise-grip on it after heating. Much more leverage that with a screwdriver.

Take it to an experienced welder to build up a bead on the bolt head remnants, the heat from the weld will break down any internal Lock-Tite and then grab the bead with vise-grips and ease it out~~Wurkz 4 me......

Master of the Dooniverse
    easy outs never work for me.....i end up with drill, tap and helicoil almost every time. if this was salt water don't wate your time....it won't come out.

+1
    Also, DO NOT, cut, drill or notch the broken bolt with the manifold still installed on the motor... The last thing you need is metal shavings in your motor.

Thread Information