Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

something failed

I have a 2003 MSX 140 and last weekend the jet ski started having moments where it missed alot for 5 seconds then was fine and then 2 minutes later it continued. I replaced the plugs, went out this weekend and problem continued. I went back in to reasure they were gapped correctly came back out got about a half mile and my RPM remained at 6400 but my speed decreased to around 35 mph and then I hear a thump and the jet ski stops. When you try to start it, it just thumps, it won't turn at all. Luckily my father was already out on the water about 5 or 6 miles away in a nice maxum 270 SCR that has had 0 problems...so i was towed home and immediately was put on the trailer. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated if this is an easy fix, if not wednesday I am taking it to my local polaris dealer (not that fantastic of a dealer at all) so they can troubleshoot it.
    Last edited by laxidiot87; 08-04-2008 at 08:51 AM.

+1
    sounds like you lost a rod or piston

Check plugs for damage, than compression test. Sounds like something expensive let loose.

can't check compression, engine won't move.

+1
    time to pull the heads ,sure theres nothing stuck in the pump or the pump locked up you might want to pull the four long pump bolts and remove the pump and see if it turns ???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you were towed, without blocking the cooling water inlet, you may now have water inside the engine, in addition to whatever caused the original breakdown.

Check for water in the engine ASAP. If it is in there, get it out ASAP.

Pull the jet pump and drive shaft, get that engine turning by hand (spark plugs out). Pull the heads if the engine itself seems tight, see what the pistons and cylinders can tell you.

Also check the condition of the PTO coupler. Look for worn rubber or rubber shavings, or worn splines, metal shavings.

[quote=laxidiot87;747571my RPM remained at 6400 but my speed decreased to around 35 mph and then I hear a thump and the jet ski stops. [/quote]

This leads me to believe that you had a pump problem...but if the pump locks up hard, it can damage the crank.

+1
    I'd say remove the pump and see if you can rotate the engine by hand.

smitty

Towing

New owner here. Are you guy's saying I cant tow without the engine running??? Sorry for the stupid question just trying to learn about these things.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smit1r1rich View Post
    New owner here.
    Are you guy's saying I can't tow without the engine running???

Sorry for the stupid question just trying to learn about these things.
    Welcome to the Hulk!

If you don't have one, you can download your MSX Owner's Manual from Polaris. You will have to register, but there is no cost or downside to doing so.

You can download the Service Manual from here.

You cannot BE safely towed without closing off the cooling water flow into the exhaust system.

These machines (and many non-Polaris PWC) inject a water spray into the exhaust flow to cool the exhaust gases. When the engine is running, the exhaust gas flow pushes the water out the back, along with the exhaust.

When the engine is stopped, but the hull is moving through the water (because you are being towed), the cooling water inlet in the jet pump is pressurized by the forward motion, and water will flow into the exhaust system.

Without exhaust gas flow from a running engine, that water accumulates, and then works its way back into the engine via the open exhaust ports.

On page 54 of the 2003 MSX Owner's Manual;
    'Before towing, use a vice-grip pliers to close off the cooling water inlet hose..."

"Failure to clamp off the cooling water inlet hose before towing may result in hydrolock..."

There are two ways to prevent engine flooding under tow. Clamp off the main water inlet hose, or clamp off the smaller hose that feeds the exhaust cooling spray nozzle. Or install a valve in the hose, ready for towing. Be sure to never turn the valve of when running the engine.

I just towed a friend's Polaris SL900 several miles back to the ramp on Sunday. He didn't want to bother clamping the cooling water hose.

The engine was FULL of water when we pulled it apart an hour later. In this case, the engine flooding was not an issue, as the MAG piston was already completely pounded into a rounded muffin (the reason it needed towing).

That 900 engine already had several hundred hours on it (best guess, as the MFD hour meter had reset itself at least once in the past). It had not needed or received any engine work since it was purchased new in 1997, so it was getting tired.
    Last edited by K447; 08-05-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information