Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1st day out on my XP = no fun

so, I launch my new XP. It starts fine, I am going along just fine headed towards then channel. I get about halfway through the channel and it just...quits. I try start it up it again and it does, for about 5 seconds. So I hang on to the side of the channel for about a half an hour lookin like a dumbass. I take the key out and wait (my aunt was supposed to come out the channel eventually). About a half hour later she doesnt show up so I try to start it again, it starts. I make it out the channel and start going again. Jumped a few waves so I had short bursts of WOT and it shuts off again. Now im sittin in the middle of the lake waitin for my cousin to come out on there sea-doo to pull me to my Grandpas house. O BTW... A couple times when I started it, the damn thing just beeped at me so I gave it up. I get to my grandpas house and my dad takes a look at it. First thought is the battery, so my dad starts it and its about to start but doesnt. Then he checks the spark pluggs and see's that there in horrible condition so he goes and buys new ones. He gets back, puts in the new plugs, and still nothing So we figure its the battery so we took the battery out and took it home and is charging ATM. We hope its just the battery but im also hoping that maybe some of you experts have an idea? Maybe the fuel lines need to be replaced?

Stop Obama Express
    If it cranks and starts then dies and then cranks again... not the battery. If the battery is bad enough to cause the ski to die, it wont be good enough to let it crank again IMO.

thats what i was thinking, but I probably ran the battery dry trying to get it started again and that caused the beeping after a bit maybe? So maybe it could have been the sparkplugs but I ran the battery dry...I just wanna get this figured out, for like the 10 minutes I actually had it runnin it was so much more fun then I had on anyother ski Ive driven. HELP PLEASE and thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    This has nothing to do with voltage..its fuel delivery. Does this ski have the grey fuel lines in it? take a look at all of your filters. you probly have clogged screens. If thats the case, if you havent smoked your motor top end already, you need to get this done ASAP!

Its got the grey fuel lines in it. Where would I look for filters, and what am I looking for. How do I know if the top end is fine or not? Thanks

Stop Obama Express
    You need to remove the carbs and pull the side plate (4 screws) off and you will see a filter under the rubber diaphram. It is very easy and takes a few minutes of disassembly and confidence.

+1
    well first i would get a compression gauge from auto zone. take your plugs out, screw in the compression gauge and crank over the motor. repeate for second cylinder. Compression should be +/- 150 PSI. Also, get about 25ft of new 1/4in fuel line.
    Pull the carbs off the motor and place on work bench. open the side of carbs. there is a little screen in the side of the carb. Sounds like they need re-built. you can get rebuild kits for $50 bucks apiece, you need two. Pull this screen out and get a can of carb cleaner and spray away. If you find a bunch of yellow gunk in your carbs,thats your problem. there is also a filter above the gas tank. unscrew this and clean this screen also. these grey lines deteriorate over time(remember they are 12 years old) and lean out motors then its a $500 over-haul.
    As for the fuel lines replace all of them. you dont have to replace the ones that dont eventually go to the carbs. just trace them down and you will find out which ones they are. pull the fuel selector valve knob too.(its on the side of the ski) and take it apart. if its hard to turn, there is build up there too.
    Good Luck

sigh... This would probably not be something you would suggest doing on the beach then huh...

+1
    eh, no. its a good all day job for a first timer.

that means I gotta get pulled back around...gr, assuming I should probably not run it till these things get done. OH, any chance there is a how to thing for these that I could print out and see pictures? My dad knows a bit, but not enough to do this blind.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information