Code 66 (Stepping motor stuck closed)

Was out today giving it a run and started beeping and engine flashing, so I shut down the motor (mistake). It the would not start and when i tried to restart it the error code was gone. So nothing was working just kept cranking and nothing. Ended up disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and then it started when i cranked it and gave some throttle.

Rode it some more and it came back on, this time I just held the button and got a code 66. I don't know if its related, but the throttle cable was hard to move the other day, had to break it loose while I was lubricating it. Also the cable seemed to be sticky. Not letting the RPMs drop all the way to idle a couple times.

Luckily its under a 5yr waranty, but can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to prevent this from happening in the future and where specifically this stepping motor is?

The stepping motor act as an idle control motor... You cable sounds like it needs to go back for the recall... I personally wouldnt ride a ski with a cable that I had to break loose... Think of the danger involved. Check the sticky in the above section and read the "New Gpr Bulletin"

Alright thanks. I already took it to the shop this morning. Should be taken care of by warranty and recall. Looks like 1-2 weeks without the ski. Just got home on leave from military too . Looks like next month I'll get to ride them again.

Looks like they are replacing the Throttle Body under warranty. Does anyone know if this problem might have been prevented? It didn't have a problem until after de-winterizing it. After it sat for a while it started to have this problem.

Ok, so now Yamaha is arguing that it might not be covered under warranty. Can anyone please tell me where in the manual it would list preventative maintenance for TB problems? I ride in Salt water, but after every ride I spray down the whole engine bay with fresh water, and flush and run the engine for about 10-15 mins. I also sprayed the whole engine with Yamaha Silicon Spray, to protect against corrosion. I've done almost everything I can imagine to prevent this stuff from happening.

One thing I did notice though. After this winterization, parts were somewhat corroded that weren't before. Should I winterize with the seat cracked open, or the front bin open, to promote circulation of air?

Houston, Texas
    I always ventilate the hull to get all the moisture out of there.

Thread Information