State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

96' SPX - Shutting Off at Full Throttle - Why??

I have a 1996 with an XP engine in it - engine runs very strong and fairly consistent, but when I am running and crank up to full throttle, the ski bogs down heavily or even shuts off completely after a few seconds - almost like it's getting fuel starved.

Any thoughts on why? I can't see this being plugs, since plugs would act up more at low throttle.

Have recycled and treated the fuel and put in 93 octane.

Have pulled out the small fuel screen and cleaned it - some debris, but not enough that I would think that to be the case. Is there another fuel filter - can't find one in line anywhere???

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    have you ever rebuilt the carbs???? Id start there. there are screens there too that need to be cleaned.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Rebuild those carbs!!! Most all problems with the 2 strokes are carburetor related... buy rebuild kits for both & also replace the needle & seats with the proper gram springs! You may also want to rebuild the fuel pump as well... you should only have one on the front carb. Inspect or replace the jets as well as you may have clogged high speed jets... my quess is that you will also find alot of trash in the carb screens that are just on the other side of the needle and seat!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Rebuild those carbs!!! Most all problems with the 2 strokes are carburetor related... buy rebuild kits for both & also replace the needle & seats with the proper gram springs! You may also want to rebuild the fuel pump as well... you should only have one on the front carb. Inspect or replace the jets as well as you may have clogged high speed jets... my quess is that you will also find alot of trash in the carb screens that are just on the other side of the needle and seat!

DAMN DAMN DAMN. It's always something. I just had all of that work done a year ago - but then the ski sat for about 6 months with NO usage. Since Feb I have been trying to get it out alot more so it's getting more use - but each time I take it out, there is something else small that needs to be fixed to really use it.

So it's back to rebuilding again.

Smile

Todays biggest problem is fuel,or should I say old or bad fuel,3 months is max.that premium will last ,The only thing that hurts watercraft more than old fuel is the fuel treatments people add,I for one only use STABIL ,and it doesnt keep the fuel from loosing octane!!If you have a fuel injected ski lucas makes a good product that doesnt harm anything and cleans injectors.Also if your seadoo has grey fuel lines !!!CHANGE THEM OUT!!even if you rebuild carbs and clean screens the inside layer of grey seadoo line gets soft then plugs everything,You also need to remove fuel petcock and clean it,they plug also!!Just a hint from someone who knows >Marvin

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSammy View Post
    DAMN DAMN DAMN. It's always something. I just had all of that work done a year ago - but then the ski sat for about 6 months with NO usage. Since Feb I have been trying to get it out alot more so it's getting more use - but each time I take it out, there is something else small that needs to be fixed to really use it.

So it's back to rebuilding again.

Dude... you live in Florida to! Get that thing out more often!!! Or you can always buy a 4tec as I did... lot less maintenance and you can't beat the fuel injection!!!! However I still love to ride my old 95XP 800!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Dude... you live in Florida to! Get that thing out more often!!! Or you can always buy a 4tec as I did... lot less maintenance and you can't beat the fuel injection!!!! However I still love to ride my old 95XP 800!
    LOL - thanks man. I actually JUST GOT the ski really running good. It sat for most of the year with various small problems before I learned how to wrench in it myself. Now I am pretty comfortable with ripping things off and working on it.

I had already been told about the gray lines - planning on doing that this weekend.

Also, I already have a 4-TEC as well - 2004 GTX/SC with a blown motor. Got it from a friend who blew the motor. i am rebuilding the ski to get it running again. Should be about 3-4 weeks.

Thread Information