Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

GP1200r First Run after Modifications [GREENHULK SUCCESS]

EDIT: Green Hulk Success! See Last Post

Hey guy whats up.... today was the first time i got out and ran my ski with all the modifications installed:

[2001 GP1200R]

RD Ride plate
    RD Intake Grate
    RD D-Plate
    RD Pump Seal Kit
    Riva Power Pentum Flame Arrestor
    Riva Free Flow Exhaust
    Riva Reed Stuffers
    Jetted Carbs with no choke plates or accelerator pump
    Primer Kit

Right now:
    Low Speed: 1 1/4
    High Speed: 1 3/8
    120 Main
    110 Pilot
    95g Spring
    1.5 Needle and Seat
    [Only have a Stock Head]

Started up on land, got it running solid and then threw it in the water. Idled good in the water and ran solid except for my low speed throttle response. Despite that, i rode for a few more minutes did some high speed passes (rpm's were solid at 7k on the tach) and then checked the engine. No excessive heat, exhaust leaks, or any apparent issues. I then proceeded to check the spark plugs which were all burnt evenly, just a little rich. Rode around some more, checked everything again and had no problems except my throttle response from a stand still and up until about 4-5k rpms. From low to midrange if i were to nail the throttle my ski would either putter out or bog a little and then eventually clear out and go. Also, when i would shut it off and have it sit for a few mins it would be rough to start and bog out until it cleared up. My conclusion is that the ski is running to rich and the extra gas flow is causing the throttle response to fail and the ski to bog out. Then when trying to start it, all the extra fuel is making it harder to start up again. Everything else is great, it sounds amazing with the new mods and the top end and mid range feel like a totally new ski!

You guys have helped me get this far, but i cant make it without some expertise on where i should go next with my adjustments. I am in the process of taking off the stinger again to get to the carbs and double check everything, so now is the perfect time to adjust those bad boys.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot Doug.
    Last edited by Coveted; 08-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.

+1
    Check that your powervalve motor is cycling properly. This can cause these exact issues. The 4500 rpm is the flag for this problem.

+1

Lightbulb PV cables..?

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Check that your powervalve motor is cycling properly. This can cause these exact issues. The 4500 rpm is the flag for this problem.
    +1 on what Bill has suggested..

As another thought have you had the Power valve cables off..??

Is there any chance they might be reversed..??

What your describing sounds very similar to my old GP1200R when i put the PV cables on the wrong way round..

When you try to pull away from idle speeds..??

Do you get a sound not unlike Bwwooooaarr..??

When you have the stinger of turns your lows in to 1 turn out..
    (you'd be surprised at how much a 1/4 to far out make a ski perform..)

Gerry

Banned User
    I posted this before i went out to the garage to disassemble everything and at the moment i have everything taken apart down to the carbs. I was planning on adjusting my "lows" to 1 turn out and installing T-handles. About the Power valves... i have never touched those since i owned it. Im not up to par on my head, piston, crank, and power valve knowledge which is why i have stayed away from those main components. "OsideBill" when you talk about the 4500rpm issue... are you talking about your ski topping out at 4500rpm (because mine ran great at 7000rpm WOT) or do you mean the low-midrange bogging out issue. Because when i punch it from a standstill it will bog down and stall or either bog down and then finally kick in and go. The throttle response is poor. If this could be cause by power valves how would i go about checking them. I know what they are and where they are located etc... But am unsure about how to disassemble them (the right way) and what i should be looking for.

Thanks guys.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
    +1 on what Bill has suggested..

As another thought have you had the Power valve cables off..??

Is there any chance they might be reversed..??

What your describing sounds very similar to my old GP1200R when i put the PV cables on the wrong way round..

When you try to pull away from idle speeds..??

Do you get a sound not unlike Bwwooooaarr..??

When you have the stinger of turns your lows in to 1 turn out..
    (you'd be surprised at how much a 1/4 to far out make a ski perform..)

Gerry

Never touched them so no reason they should be on backwards, and i am planning on putting my idle down to 1 turn out. About the sound, your "Bwoooaarr" is right on the money lol. But it is short and if i punch it from a standstill and hold the throttle WOT it will bog out and stall immediately. The motor runs great and will idle perfect in the water, but if it stalls or you shut it off... you will have a little problem starting it and you need to keep hitting the throttle as you hold down the starter till you get a lil movement and cut through the bog and get going.... though once going you will run ok. As long as you ease up on the throttle you can run the ski fine. Are these rich adjustment related problems... too much fuel causing a bog when you punch it, and then a lot of fuel gummed up in the carberetors etc... making it hard to start on top of the blackened over rich spark plugs which make it even harder to start; Or is this a power valve issue? I dont know a lot about the power valves so im not sure what they do or how they affect the performance of the ski.... only thing i know about them is that you should run gas valves! =] (too expensive for me atm.)

+1

Lightbulb PV's

Hey Doug..

There seems to be a combination of potential problems going on with your ski..

At least the PV cables being reversed is now eliminated from the list..

Also the electric (stock) Power Valve system is just fine.. so don't think you "need" gas valves..

As Bill said make sure the PV's are cycling correctly..

The way to check is start the ski for a few seconds with the seat off, then when you switch it off.
    watch the PV's and make sure they cycle open then closed..
    Pay close attention to make sure all of the linkages between the cylinders moves..

Let us know what the result off this test is..

Gerry
    Last edited by quadzilla; 08-03-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Banned User
    I remember from earlier today everytime i shut the ski off you wait like 2-3 seconds (not sure on time) and the power valves tend to turn in to towards the cylinders once, and then turn back out and then make one final adjustment. Im pretty sure its like a Y, but i know it sounds like... Eeeeee...., Eeee, Eee, the lesser the E's the lesser the electrical sounds of the power valves moving.

Im recalling from earlier today when i was running on land with the seat off... but i do know for a fact that the power valves did re-adjust themselves everytime after it was shut off... in the exact same pattern and manner.

+1

Lightbulb Good

OK Doug..

It certainly sounds like the Power Valve servo motor is working..

What you need to confirm is that the motor is actually operating the valves next..

Check that all the linkages are moving..?

Question:. does this ski have a primmer kit fitted to it..??

Gerry

Banned User
    Yes it does, the primer kit is connected to the main fuel line after the fuelcock but before the fuel filter with a t-pipe and was working great today.

As with the power valves... the bars/arms connecting each power valve so they move insync was moving, and turning. As to whether, internally, anything was moving i know that the power valves, externally, were working ok. The arm would twist back and forth etc.. after shutting down the motor resetting itself.

I think it's just loading up, I'd try it with Lows set at 1 turn and work from there. Might as well use a fresh set plugs also. My ski would load up also but not as bad as yours. After a long 5mph all I had to do was blip the throttle a few times and I was good to go.

What is your idle speed set at?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information