Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 1998 GTX Surging Around 5500+ RPM'S And Over

Today on my 1998 GTX when running at top end over 5500+ the engine hits a certain rpm and then seemed to start surging. Lower rpms everything seems fine but, when trying to flat out this occurs. Can any tell me what's wrong here? It kinda reminded me of engine with a governer on it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by msd58; 08-04-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It's getting starved for fuel. Remove and clean the carbs. Replace the fuel lines if not already done.

My 97 GTX did the same thing. It was the little fuel filters in the carbs. I took the carbs apart and removed them and put a new fuel line from the water seperator (screw on filter) to the carbs and put a quality in-line fuel filter between the seperator and the carbs. Works very well runs like a top and you have double filters that you can change easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr View Post
    My 97 GTX did the same thing. It was the little fuel filters in the carbs. I took the carbs apart and removed them and put a new fuel line from the water seperator (screw on filter) to the carbs and put a quality in-line fuel filter between the seperator and the carbs. Works very well runs like a top and you have double filters that you can change easily.
    Is the the problem with the fuel lines cause by ethynol fuels causing the fuel line to brake down faster? I would like just to rebuild carbs at this time an replace the lines in the winter season. Will I be OK for the next month and half?

Quote Originally Posted by msd58 View Post
    Is the the problem with the fuel lines cause by ethynol fuels causing the fuel line to brake down faster? I would like just to rebuild carbs at this time an replace the lines in the winter season. Will I be OK for the next month and half?
    No, it was a defect in the stock fuel lines, they are cheap and break down. Way before ethanol was ever introduced.

No, you need to do it the same time as you clean the carbs, as the gunk in the lines will go right back into your clean carbs. You are looking at 2 hours more max to change the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    No, it was a defect in the stock fuel lines, they are cheap and break down. Way before ethanol was ever introduced.

No, you need to do it the same time as you clean the carbs, as the gunk in the lines will go right back into your clean carbs. You are looking at 2 hours more max to change the lines.
    Since I am not doing carbs myself, the shop is doing that should I do hoses before for shop gets the SeaDoo? Hose job is an extra $300.00 Sorry for all the dumb questions.
    Last edited by msd58; 08-05-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msd58 View Post
    Since I am not doing carbs myself, the shop is doing that should I do hoses before for shop gets the SeaDoo? Hose job is an extra $300.00 Sorry for all the dumb questions.
    Yes, I'd do it before sending it to them. Just take off one at a time, match it up to the new hose, cut and reinstall. Your ski will take about 17' of 5/16" hose. Get worm clamps if you use them from Low'e or Home Depot, as the automotive ones aren't 100% stainless. Do not do the vent lines, as they never supply anything to carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, I'd do it before sending it to them. Just take off one at a time, match it up to the new hose, cut and reinstall. Your ski will take about 17' of 5/16" hose. Get worm clamps if you use them from Low'e or Home Depot, as the automotive ones aren't 100% stainless. Do not do the vent lines, as they never supply anything to carbs.
    NAPA OK for hose?

OK here is my thoughts if you put a new hose from the screw on filter to the carbs and put an in-line filter in it if any other lines are breaking down you will trap inside the 2 filters that is what should be a concern.....you can change that out and install the new hose in 30 minutes or less i bought a 3' pc of hose and a clear in line filter

hey no question is a dumb one right

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information