Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

'08 VX Cruiser - Observations

Followed break-in procedure to the "t" with the book open. Driver 235 lbs, passenger 130 lbs., 95 degrees wind 5-10 mph.

Hats Off Motorsports - Omaha, Nebraska told me this ski was a very dry
    hull. NOT!

This hull when idleing is plowing under the water at the front tip nearly half the time. Any wake will go up half the nose of the ski, over the very low ineffective mirrors, and swamp the footwells. Spray from the hull pushes forward until approx. 35 mph. We were wet enough to keep cool but don't like this much spray and submarinning in colder water. This is my fourth 3-seater. '94 Polaris SLT-750 (just sold) and '95 Kawasaki ST-750 (also just sold) were drier running then this Yamaha product. My '04 Honda F12X was much drier. The VX model does not have a trim ajustment.

This hull seems to be forward heavy and overall a deep draft. I had more trouble getting into the sandy beach then any other ski. They were helping me by pulling and pushing in. Another Yamaha FX Cruiser with a 140 or 160 was easier to pull into the beach. The FX is a different longer hull and the motor balance point is much different.

Fuel consumption on this first day was poor. Full tank is now below half near one third. Total use of 3.2 hours today. Hull does not plane with us until 5,000 + RPMs and about 25 mph. Falls off plane 25 to 20 mph. RPM's were not taken over 6500 today and most of the day was cruising after the break-in. Fastest today was 42 mph. Dis not want to push the engine yet. I thought the VX Sport, Deluxe, and Cruiser were the lowest consumer of petrol in the business?

Vibration in handlebars is terrible. My hands were numb now they just hurt.

Cruiser seat looks cool but makes your butt sweat below the waistband. Can not sit sideways in the front seat easily or comfortably. Passenger or spotter cannot ride backwards because of the low seat back bucket style seat design. Can not use the seat to put your feet down on the large flat rear platform.

What is your experience with the VX models? Not the FX they are different hulls and weight distribution. I'M NOT HAPPY!

Wonder how big a blood bath it will be to get out of this one, and buy something else? Not happy with this dealer either.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    wow......had to look this ski up.....didnt realize Yammi made a VX cruiser.....
    sry to hear that u dislike the ski so much......take it back to the dealer and see what they can do about getting u a different ski........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureowner View Post
    Followed break-in procedure to the "t" with the book open. Driver 235 lbs, passenger 130 lbs., 95 degrees wind 5-10 mph.

Hats Off Motorsports - Omaha, Nebraska told me this ski was a very dry
    hull. NOT!

This hull when idleing is plowing under the water at the front tip nearly half the time. Any wake will go up half the nose of the ski, over the very low ineffective mirrors, and swamp the footwells. Spray from the hull pushes forward until approx. 35 mph. We were wet enough to keep cool but don't like this much spray and submarinning in colder water. This is my fourth 3-seater. '94 Polaris SLT-750 (just sold) and '95 Kawasaki ST-750 (also just sold) were drier running then this Yamaha product. My '04 Honda F12X was much drier. The VX model does not have a trim ajustment.

This hull seems to be forward heavy and overall a deep draft. I had more trouble getting into the sandy beach then any other ski. They were helping me by pulling and pushing in. Another Yamaha FX Cruiser with a 140 or 160 was easier to pull into the beach. The FX is a different longer hull and the motor balance point is much different.

Fuel consumption on this first day was poor. Full tank is now below half near one third. Total use of 3.2 hours today. Hull does not plane with us until 5,000 + RPMs and about 25 mph. Falls off plane 25 to 20 mph. RPM's were not taken over 6500 today and most of the day was cruising after the break-in. Fastest today was 42 mph. Dis not want to push the engine yet. I thought the VX Sport, Deluxe, and Cruiser were the lowest consumer of petrol in the business?

Vibration in handlebars is terrible. My hands were numb now they just hurt.

Cruiser seat looks cool but makes your butt sweat below the waistband. Can not sit sideways in the front seat easily or comfortably. Passenger or spotter cannot ride backwards because of the low seat back bucket style seat design. Can not use the seat to put your feet down on the large flat rear platform.

What is your experience with the VX models? Not the FX they are different hulls and weight distribution. I'M NOT HAPPY!

Wonder how big a blood bath it will be to get out of this one, and buy something else? Not happy with this dealer either.
    I can tell you this, if you would have put 3.2 hrs on the SHO, you would have been out of 18 gallons of fuel for sure. You may have to put a few more hrs on before it reaches full potential for range. As for the hull, I have never rode one. Try talking to ItailionStallion314. He has a VX & is very knowledgeable about them. They are supposed to be the most fuel efficient watercraft on the market.

Jim

My SHO also digs the nose in at idle (with just me - 165lb) on it, and throws a lot of water forward at sub-plane speeds (but not onto me unless there's a stiff headwind). Once I get it up on plane, I really have to try to get wet. I did get a lot wetter when I had passengers, so it might have something to do with the amount of weight you're carrying.

3.2 hours on half a tank sounds pretty good to me. I use half of an 18.5gal tank in 1-1.5 hours

With a full tank of gas and alot junk in the storage compartment, the VX front end will plow at slow speeds. With boat wake or any chop from wind will make it much worse. As the fuel load empties and the craft starts to lightin up you will notice much better performance.

Maybe if your still trying to break in the VX, you should ride by yourself. Pick a decent day, without to much chop. I'll bet you will really start to grow into it.

The fuel economy is the best on the market. When your breaking in a new engine, your always going to burn alot more fuel. It will get better.

For the vibration, i can't explain that....My 05 Vx has over 100 hours on it and I usually ride for extended periods on the open ocean and I never felt numb hands(except for the throttle fatigue). Have your dealer check your machine over for problems. Most people I have run into, with VX's, can't say enough of how happy they are with the machine.

Most all these ski's plow when going slow, my GPR nose was half underwater at idle.

I just bought an 07 VX Deluxe and agree the front is really plowing when you idle around. Causes the footwells to fill with water. Mine probably planes at about 20-25mph too.

Didn't have as much of a problem with spray and getting wet. Actually, the other day I finally jumped off it to cool down.

No problem with vibration. Was my first PWC so I can't comment on gas too much but for somethign in the water it doesn't seem too bad. Better than my bass boat.

Over all I've been pretty happy just wish it were alittle faster. For just playing around and having fun with my family it's working out really nice.

And no problems with the seat. Pretty easy to move around on when riding.

I can agree with you in some aspects of your arguement, yet completely disagree in other areas. The hull does get kind of submerged when idling. I do agree with the spray. I do get VERY wet with the VX. It's actually kind of annoying where you have to wipe your eyes or even wear glasses. With your comment of the hull being forward heavy, I can't agree on that because there is nothing that would make it heavier in the front? What makes you think there is extra weight up there? My planing speed is 20 mph most of the time. Fuel consumption=bad? No chance! I went through a WHOLE day of riding, and I mean jumping waves WOT all day and im at half a tank. I am so happy with my fuel consumption!! I don't have any vibration in my handle bars whatsoever, and Ihave the sport model and prefer that seat over the cruiser seat. I was in 2 foot chop (at least) this sunday in barnegat, and was GPSing a solid 57 mph. Can't wait till glassy water, I guarantee I'm in the 60s!

Where were you riding at? Carter? Manawa? River? You want a wet ride, take my Raider out for a bit...

I own an 08 vx deluxe, i havnt had any of the issues that u are dealin with, Im normaly on a river and dont usually have to deal with choppy conditions that could contribute to experiencing some of the problems your havin. Its been a smooth 20 hours for me on this ski. It might be in you best intrest to get your your ski checked out. The vibrations you are talkin about raise alarms. I didnt get the cruiser seat I can see what your issues are with that.
    Last edited by paris; 08-09-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information