slt 780 battery charging?

Hey everyone

Just a quick question. I have a 1996 slt 780 and was just wondering if they have an alternator like a car that charges the battery when you run it?? I noticed after not haveing the ski in the water for 3 weeks that the batter was a little low and was wondering if running it would top it up or if i just have to put it on a trickle charge for abit??

the battery is at 13.3 as the ski reads.....what should it be in a perfect world??

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    All these machines have a battery charging system.

When the engine is running, if you measure with a voltmeter right at the battery, you should see about 14 volts, which indicates that the battery is indeed charging. Should stay right around 14 volts as engine RPM rises.

With the engine off, battery voltage with a well charged battery should be about 12.5 volts (12.8 with an AGM battery).

The voltage displayed on the MFD can be inaccurate, which is why you need to use a proper multi-meter at the battery.

Once you know whether your MFD is accurate, then you can use the MFD to monitor the charging system voltage and battery health.

hmm ok then....i Guess the problem is that i have a battery minder on it and it dissconnects it when it thinkis there is only enough charge left to start the ski again, so perhaps when it doesn that it wont allow the battery to recharge when i am driving it.

I just charged the battery up on the weeeknd and waiting to go back down to the cottage to see what it does, But when i was riding it the minder would dissconnect the battery and that would shut off the MFD.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    hmm ok then....i Guess the problem is that i have a battery minder on it and it disconnects it when it thinkis there is only enough charge left to start the ski again, so perhaps when it doesn that it wont allow the battery to recharge when i am driving it.

I just charged the battery up on the weekend and waiting to go back down to the cottage to see what it does, But when i was riding it the minder would disconnect the battery and that would shut off the MFD.
    I don't think you are talking about a battery minder.

Are you using a Nautilus Battery Guard (Canadian Tire sold)? There is a specific way this device needs to be installed to work properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nautilus Marine Battery Guard remote controlled PWC battery isolator+security.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	87066  

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I don't think you are talking about a battery minder.

Are you using a Nautilus Battery Guard (Canadian Tire sold)? There is a specific way this device needs to be installed to work properly.

ya thats it and i have used it in the past with no problems....just gets hooked to the positive terminal and then the negative line to the negative terminal. Easy to hook up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...Are you using a Nautilus Battery Guard (Canadian Tire sold)?
    There is a specific way this device needs to be installed to work properly.
    ya thats it and i have used it in the past with no problems.
    ...just gets hooked to the positive terminal and then the negative line to the negative terminal.
    Easy to hook up
    Properly connected, the Nautilus device should not affect battery charging when the engine is running.

If it has triggered to 'open' mode because of low battery voltage, then you would need to reset it before being able to start the machine.

To avoid the risk of battery disconnect while the engine is operating, the ACC tab on the device must be connected to the Orange wire from the LR voltage regulator. This prevents the device from disconnecting the battery while the engine is running, even if the remote button is pressed.

There are several ways to connect the device;

One is between the battery positive post (heavy battery positive cable) and the start solenoid (typically at the battery end of the positive cable). When the device is 'open', the battery is totally disconnected from the PWC electrics. This is how I assume you have connected yours.

Another option is to connect the device to the engine start circuit only, in line with the Red/Purple wire that feeds the start/Stop push button switch. Still provides the locking security function of the remote, but does not provide the low battery disconnect.

This configuration eliminates the possibility of battery disconnect while the engine is running, and therefore you don't need to connect the ACC terminal to the Orange wire (useful if your model doesn't have an Orange wire from the LR regulator).

When you connect an AC powered battery charger, if you connect it directly to the battery positive post, and NOT the other side of the Nautilus, then the charger will be able to charge the battery even if the device is in 'circuit open' mode.

Could you post a picture of how you have yours configured?

I have not connected the ACC wire, all i did was connect the nautilus to the positive terminal and the negative from the anutils to the neg terminal on the battery.

What will happen if the batter disconnects while the ski is running

+1

Arrow Options for connecting Nautilus 'Battery Guard' remote control starter/bat disconnect

I have not connected the ACC wire, all i did was connect the Nautilus to the positive terminal and the negative from the Nautilus to the neg terminal on the battery.

What will happen if the battery disconnects while the ski is running
    The Polaris electrical system is designed to operate with the battery always connected (of course).

The rectifier in the LR is only 1/2 wave, and it cannot regulate the DC voltage without the battery to act as a voltage stabilizer and a charging load.

I do not know exactly how the rest of the electrical system would react to a sudden battery disconnect, but it cannot be good. I would expect rapidly fluctuating voltages on the Red/Purple 12 volt line.

Since the CDI ignition is a digital controller, I would expect it to be upset (if not damaged) by fluctuating supply power if the battery is disconnected.

A) I find the Nautilus 'feature' of disconnecting the battery when the main battery voltage droops too low during storage, is less important than the remote control security aspect of the Nautilus device.

If you have a good quality AGM battery, then the normal battery drain rate should not be a problem for a few weeks of storage between rides. A brand name AGM battery should last for many weeks, all connected up and ready to start the engine.

Note that a typical lead-acid battery has a self discharge (internal to the battery) rate that is several times higher than the self discharge of an AGM type battery. Sitting on a shelf (not connected to anything), the lead-acid battery will need recharging many weeks before the AGM battery would.

B) Keep in mind that the Nautilus itself imposes a battery drain. The specified drain rate is 10 milliamps (presumably to operate the radio receiver for the remote).

This 10ma battery drain will occur even if the Nautilus is in the 'locked/battery disconnect' position. The drain may continue even after the 'low battery' disconnect is triggered. At that rate, the Nautilus could entirely drain a fully charged and healthy 19AH battery, by itself, in under 80 days.

Note: When the battery voltage drops below the cut-off voltage, the Nautilus disconnects the output, but it continues to draw 10 milliamps for the remote function. If you press the remote to 'unlock', and the battery is still low, you have 30 seconds to get the motor started (and presumably start charging the battery, boosting the voltage up). After 30 seconds, the low battery protection re-activates, and cuts the power off again ('lock' mode). You would need to unlock it again.

C) If you want to disconnect the MFD (which is probably the primary PWC battery drain during storage), you can install a regular marine grade switch (properly mounted somewhere under the seat) in line with the Red/Purple wire to the MFD (after the Red/Purple feeds through the 1/4 Amp fuse). Circled in blue in first diagram.

OR install a heavy duty marine grade switch inline with the thin red wire at the circuit breaker, after it connects with the heavy red wire from the battery positive. Circled in green in first diagram. You could drill a hole in the electrical box shell, and mount the switch through it, accessible from the outside. Just use a good marine switch, and seal it into the hole to keep moisture out of the box.

Flip the switch off, you have zero battery drain. Switch it on, and you are ready to ride. Use a switch with a positive handle lock (so the switch cannot be accidentally knocked on-off), and you have a reliable arrangement. The handle must be lifted before it can be moved to the opposite position.

D) To utilize the Nautilus as a remote control security device ONLY, it can be connected inline with the positive side of the start solenoid, after the thin red wire that feeds to rest of the electrical system. Shown in second diagram.

In this configuration, the Orange wire to the Nautilus ACC terminal is optional (but still recommended), since 'locking' the Nautilus while the engine is running won't disconnect the battery, but it will prevent the starter from operating.

This security only configuration is what I will be using on my MSX 140.

Name:	Polaris 1995 SL750 wiring diagram - Nautilus wiring options 02.JPG 
Views:	7096 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	87486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1995 SL750 wiring diagram - Nautilus wiring options 01.JPG 
Views:	599 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	87487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch4.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	87489  
    Last edited by K447; 08-07-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: 30 second cut-off delay when battery is low

+1

More operational notes regarding the Nautilus Battery Guard

When the ACC tab sees 12 volt power, all remote control actions are ignored. It will neither lock nor unlock, as long as it has 12 volts on the ACC terminal.

Manual over-ride button, located under the yellow plastic screw cap;

If you you do not have the remote, or it is not working for you.

Unscrew yellow cap, then press the yellow button inside down firmly to release the electrical lock (you will hear it clunk) and provide battery power for starting.

If battery voltage is weak, unit will reset to locked mode after 30 seconds, disconnecting the battery power again.

If the engine charging system is not working after starting, and battery is weak, you must press and turn the button to lock it down (this ensures that the battery disconnect will not activate). Do this before starting.

Press and turn the manual over-ride button 90 degrees (1/4 turn) to lock the button in and permanently enable the power. Remote control will not function if the manual button is locked down.

Turn manual button another 90 degrees to release manual lock for normal remote control operation.

Name:	P5310206.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	87536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310197.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	87537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310191.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	87538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310184.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	87539  

Thread Information