Thread: not good

+1

Unhappy not good

this happened to close to home http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/...ki_accident_84 this seems to be a common occurance- people not looking before they turn

+1
    It is all too common amongst boat operators. They forget the rules of the road and think that the water is an open driveway, its not, it's fully engaged with others, hazards and marine life.

We just finished teaching a class to the US Border Patrol. There were so many PWC operators in the vicinity of our training zone that had little to no regards for their own personal safety let alone other boaters, that my instructor took the PWC out and warned them.

It was shocking to stand shoreside and watch the near misses. Most of these PWC operators were from a rental PWC business.

One father put his daughter on the PWC with no lifejacket. He told her in front of our class 'pretend you have an invisible PFD on'. She said to him, 'Daddy you are crushing my invisible PFD!'. Then the mother came down on the dock as I took a picture of this disregard for California law and child safety and gave me stink eye, again my instructor reprimanded this person. The child was more embarassed than the parent and this parent looked well to do and educated.

Another was pulling 4 people on a tube. The PWC states its' a 3 person or total weight load limit, this included the two people on board, for a total of 6 persons. Again my instructor who is a Sheriff went out and reprimanded the operator for not using a flag, all on board were wearing Lifejackets. The flag was stored on board but not being used.

We watched another rental PWC turn right onto the direct path of a planing yacht who was not as manueverable as the PWC, the PWC operator also had a child on board. We thought they were going to crash, it was a near miss, we witnessed this all day long for 2 days. We were watching the public just as much as we were trying to train to help the public in these exact same situations.

And these were not kids, these were folks in late 30's mid 40's operating. Not one ever looked before they initiated a turn, and none of them knew the rules of the road for crossing or overtaking, it was pathetic and very embarassing.

Shawn

+1
    You are right.. was over by some rentals the other day they would give them the lanyard and said go 3 out of 4 did not have lanyard attached, spray each other and about running into us even though we were just sitting there.. at one point in my life I wanted to own a jet ski rental business ,,,,,NOT NOW.

We did some work near a PWC rental place , they had a full time glass man and did not offer full coverage as the renters were not insurable! that being said the rentals were always blue Yami's and when I am at the lake I considered the rentals as plague victims !

Thread Information