Wink Custom look for a new ski...

...well, I found and bought another '96 Polaris SLX780 the other day! It is a 1-owner, in excellent shape, with just 71 hours...but all of the decals have been removed. The owner was going to race the ski with his own custom graphics, but he never got around to it (baby came, heh). The ski ended up just sitting there, covered up in his shop, and he decided it deserved more than that...so he put it on the market! A friend of mine found out about it and checked it out for me while he was down there (out of town). It was in mint condition, other than the missing graphics, and the guy only wanted $1,000 for it, so I asked my friend to buy it for me...he only had $900 on him, so the seller came down $100...yep, a 100% original, 100% mint, '96 SLX780 for $900!!!

Anyway, I did some editing to the factory graphics, and came up with what I think is a sick looking design! I am lucky enough to have a line on some original decals, plus a friend with an uber-nice vinyl graphics machine/plotter/cutter, so I should be able to create the decals exactly as they look in the picture below! Let me know what you think...

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

bingo

thats it bro.much better than stock graphics

Thanks man, I really like it, too! I hope to get the ski here later this week, and start on the graphics then!

thats looks AWESOME!

i wish i had that. i bought a 96 slx780 last year that had a broken piston rod and had only 69 hours on it. i fixed it and absolutely love it. my son had it going 64.8 mph. it hauls my fat ass at 62 mph. if i can find another one like it i'm ditching my 750s

seriously, 60+ mph...
    I'm 220, and get an MFD indicated 52 at best on my old '96 SLX.
    Should I be doing some troubleshooting?

i think you should be getting more than 52 mph. i'm 190lbs and with a passenger around 100 lbs i can still hit 60mph. easily 62 by myself. rpms around 6500. i'm sure the guys here can suggest some ideas for you to try. you might want to start a post for ideas.

+1
    nice ski

Quote Originally Posted by eamon7 View Post
    i wish i had that. i bought a 96 slx780 last year that had a broken piston rod and had only 69 hours on it. i fixed it and absolutely love it. my son had it going 64.8 mph. it hauls my fat ass at 62 mph. if i can find another one like it i'm ditching my 750s

Im way out of my area and im not an expert but how is it that 780cc polaris can do 60+mph is that a gps reading? Nice Polaris Though.

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone! As soon as I get the new ski home, I will keep you posted on the graphics progress. I am keeping my original '96 SLX780 looking stock with factory graphics, so I will have something to compare the new one to!

eamon7, what mods/upgrades have you done to your '96 SLX780? 62mph is fast, but 64.8mph is just crazy fast (even on the MFD)! I'd really like to know what you did to your ski to achieve those speeds. I weigh in at 150lbs, and my bone-stock '96 SLX780 tops out at 59mph on pure glass (according to the MFD). I will get a true GPS reading sometime this Summer, and then start modifying (Pro785 triples, exhaust valves, reeds, etc.)!

Thread Information