99 SLX 1050 ignition issues CDI? Stator?

Hi Gents,

Need some help becoming un confused ..

First does anyone have the shop manual for the 99 SLX 1050? The manuals section only has the parts manual for this year.

Second - The problem - Ski has three weak spark(s)

I followed the PVL ignitions explained 'trouble shooting guide' in the self help section. Things I am not clear on are how you actually tell what stator you have without taking the motor out. Mine has the grey multipin conntector. I read allot about 'upgrade ignition' versus 'old style' but can't figure out what I have or what one would want? All I know is I checked the wiring as per the 98 SLX 1050 shop manual I have but the ohm readings don't make much sense (hence my question about the 99 manual).

The CDI I have is the PN# 4060180 with NO programming port. Anyway I worked through the tech article to the very end where you hook up a 9Vdc battery to the brown wire feeding the stator and wouldn't you know it the spark was good and strong, engine started and ran with only two plugs in it (I was using the third to view spark strength). So according to the tech doc I have it's says its the CDI and not the Stator. Do you guy's agree, should I test something else? If it is the CDI what part number should I be replacing mine with?

Thanks

+1
    What is the actual voltage out of the CDI brown wire? It needs to be 7-9 volts.
    If the spark is weak, when is it weak? While trying to crank it or when testing? What is the actual problem with your ski?

Ski won't start. Cranks and Cranks. Battery is ok (measures 12V+ while cranking). If you look at any spark plug while its cranking the spark is weak. Voltage out of brown wire from CDI is 8.5V while cranking. If you hook a 9V battery to the Brown wire going to the stator and then crank the spark is good and strong (in fact the ski will start and run).

Confirmation on the issue is in the CDI or Stator would be great.

Thx

+1
    What's bizzare is if you have 8.5 whilst cranking the engine, it should be enough to fire the system.

What's the gap of the plugs? If it's in the .028 zone, regap them to .024 and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the plugs again they are all at .25 to .26 and have about 10 Hrs on them. Ski ran fine all summer, dropped it in the water Saturday, fired up, went 10 ft and died. Would not fire at all - nothing. Brought it back home checked it over with the posts that you had setup for electrical Dometics >
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ferrerid=14090

fire at all - nothing. Brought it back home checked it over with the posts that you. I did everything in the article about the PVL ignitions explained. Everything checked out except the ohms reading of the purple stator wire to the black (mine shows open) while the 98 maual I have said it should be 1200? Anyway I continued to follow the article above regardless right to the end where it walks you through hooking up a 9V battery to the brown staor wire. When I did this the spark was good and hot and since I had two plugs still in in the cyclinders the ski actually started and ran. If I put the CDI back to controlling the brown wire of the stator the spark is weak and it won't start.

+1
    I was just thinking, wether it be the stator or CDI, the update kit replaces them both.

So then this is that part where I am confused as to what the 'update kit' is versus what I have now. I am not sure what Stator I have (I assume it's the original factory) and the 99 SLX parts manual calls up a part number 4010257. I know my CDI is the 4060180 (with no programming port). Finally the stator connects to the electrical box via a grey multi-connector.

What should I be buying (part numbers)? Where can you get the complete Kit?

If I get the Kit could I try just the CDI with my original stator for starters? I would really like to avoid taking the engine out if I could.

Thanks for all your help.

+1
    Even if you find the stator now the CDI will fail again soon. Replace it with the kit and be done, so you're not doing it again later.
    You don't need to pull the engine. Worse case scenario, you move the fuel tank forward for more access room.
    2873356 is the kit number and consists of the stator, CDI and gasket.
    Post 9 here will give you the individual numbers.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15437

I like to purchase my kit from Randy at Watcon because he helps here with the board. He also offers free tech support (preferably with a purchase of course ).

Thread Information