Blown engine on 03 GTX SC

I have an 03 GTX SC in the shop that has a blown motor,exploded the front piston ,gouged the front cylinder aluminum fragments went all through the head and valves.It also spit out the rod bearing,I am going to need a new or rebuilt engine for this.What are your recommendations,I know I can get a reman from SBT but does anyone here have any experience with one of those particular remans?Otherwise its not looking good for this customer at all.

try the metal gods. I've had good luck with my 951. i've got about 10 hours on it now. The only issue I had with them was the ship date was delayed about a week from the date they promised it would go out. If you order from them just make it known up front that you expect them to ship on the date they say they will.

At $800 with free shipping & 1 year warranty... they're waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than SBT. but then again... who isn't?
    Last edited by d0n; 08-05-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Who are the metal gods ,I have never heard of them?

These guys... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADOO-REBUILT-951-ENGINE-WARRANTY-NO-HIDDEN-CHARGES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ56422QQihZ003QQ itemZ130244321272QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADOO-REBUILT-951-ENGINE-WARRANTY-NO-HIDDEN-CHARGES_W0QQitemZ130242692602QQihZ003QQcategoryZ56 422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Their price ranges from $750 - $900 for the 951cc. Search their completed auctions.

I guess it depends on how many they have availible and how hungry they are at the time of listing? I paid $900. Given that info, I would think a potential buyer could bargain a little (possibly even $150!) from the $900 price.
    Last edited by d0n; 08-05-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by d0n View Post
    These guys... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADOO-REBUILT-951-ENGINE-WARRANTY-NO-HIDDEN-CHARGES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ56422QQihZ003QQ itemZ130244321272QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADOO-REBUILT-951-ENGINE-WARRANTY-NO-HIDDEN-CHARGES_W0QQitemZ130242692602QQihZ003QQcategoryZ56 422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Their price ranges from $750 - $900 for the 951cc. Search their completed auctions.

I guess it depends on how many they have availible and how hungry they are at the time of listing? I paid $900. Given that info, I would think a potential buyer could bargain a little (possibly even $150!) from the $900 price.
    Those guys seem to do everything right, Just dont forget one thing Quality parts cost money,I like wiseco or forged pistons,if you go the cheap route you wind up with wsm or equiv. sometimes these are ok.But if you ride hard(most watercraft ridden at top speed)you need quality parts period.A quality 951 can be built including crankshaft for700.00/ 800.00 but thats not leaving much profit if top of line parts are used.if you figure dealer cost on all quality parts ,then machine shop work,crankshaft etc.A good crankshaft kit runs 225.00 without labor,Yes I know you can find a rebuilt at retail for 295.00 but that is with wsm parts.JMHO but the 951 is a racehorse and as such requires quality parts and attn. to detail to build a lasting engine!!!Ask which type and brand of parts are used,it doesnt cost a penny to ask>Marvin
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 08-05-2008 at 12:16 PM.

This is a 4-tec engine (if it is a SC) they are talking about 2-stroke 951's above, I have never dealt with sbt on a 4-tec. the only 951 GTX was the DI in 03.

Quote Originally Posted by wedoseadoo View Post
    I have an 03 GTX SC in the shop that has a blown motor,exploded the front piston ,gouged the front cylinder aluminum fragments went all through the head and valves.It also spit out the rod bearing,I am going to need a new or rebuilt engine for this.What are your recommendations,I know I can get a reman from SBT but does anyone here have any experience with one of those particular remans?Otherwise its not looking good for this customer at all.

Read SBTs description of "cores" on their website. First, they need the old engine = you pay shipping. Then they inspect it. If it needs welding, you pay more. They will turn the cranks if needed, and use over-sizeed bearings; you can only buy replacements from them. Same for the head. The good part is the warranty, if you don't mess with the engine which voids the warranty. Some put in SBT then either trade or sell outright... Ron

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoseadoo View Post
    WOW. I am three weeks into the SAME project on my '04 GTX. SAME thing. If you research this topic, there are TONS of other members with the SAME problem with the same year ranges....seems '03 to '05 were big problem years. '06 seemed to get a "fix" so there aren't as many destroyed.

Two options...depending on your "wrenching" skills...you can pick up the pieces and rebuild yourself if your head/cases can be repaired. I ended up researching the hell out of it and found a guy with a wrecked ski with a great motor. So I bought his motor and am rebuilding my old engine as a spare or sell item. My valve head and cases could be repaired, adn I am having the head redone with upgrades. From there...it's parts, and building. That's option two. Find a motor from a wrecked ski...Craigs list, this site....great resoources. Send me a PM with your email address and I wlill send you pictures of mine. Would like to see how badly yours was damaged.

Thread Information