Seadoo 4TEC Thermostat housing pop off

ALL BEWARE!! Not a pleasant experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are there any know issue with 2006 SC Seadoo Challenger closed cooling system? Running WOT yesterday and the Temp alarm sounded and the ECM immediately went into engine shut down protection (RPM power loss). Opened the hatch and found the degas coolant bottle empty. The thermostat housing hose nipple assembly popped out of the housing with the T-stat hanging out. Lookings like a very poor design for a system that is under pressure!! Luckly, I was able to just re-insert the O-ring and fight to get it to snap back into the housing. Had to rock and push and make sure to align the tabs and slot openings to get it to seat in place.
    I filled with lake/coolant that the bilge pumped out into a bucket to get me back since I was 8 miles from shore (Michigan fresh water!!). Please advise on recommendations or any tech advisory fix before I flush and fill with fresh coolant.

My only thoughts are:
    1) over pressurized system
    2) throttle/shifter cable routing against the coolant hose caused the pop off
    3) just a poor design

Please advise.

THANKS

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoondude View Post
    ALL BEWARE!! Not a pleasant experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are there any know issue with 2006 SC Seadoo Challenger closed cooling system? Running WOT yesterday and the Temp alarm sounded and the ECM immediately went into engine shut down protection (RPM power loss). Opened the hatch and found the degas coolant bottle empty. The thermostat housing hose nipple assembly popped out of the housing with the T-stat hanging out. Lookings like a very poor design for a system that is under pressure!! Luckly, I was able to just re-insert the O-ring and fight to get it to snap back into the housing. Had to rock and push and make sure to align the tabs and slot openings to get it to seat in place.
    I filled with lake/coolant that the bilge pumped out into a bucket to get me back since I was 8 miles from shore (Michigan fresh water!!). Please advise on recommendations or any tech advisory fix before I flush and fill with fresh coolant.

My only thoughts are:
    1) over pressurized system
    2) throttle/shifter cable routing against the coolant hose caused the pop off
    3) just a poor design

Please advise.

THANKS
    welcome the forum!

man i hate to hear that happening but i have to give you kudos for getting it back together with some coolant.

I am sure some others will chime in but i have not heard of this happening to stock thermo. Maybe to one that has been moded but not sure.

+1
    put a hose clamp around the tab area and tighten it down. We do that with modded ones and sounds like the stockers could use it as a safety thing.

hose clamp safety around the T-STAT tab area

I like the clamp idea as a safety to secure the T-Stat assembly tab area. The service manual I bought for my challenger did not list anything about how to remove the T-Stat from the housing. It appears based on the design, it is a very delicate area waiting for a disaster or could easily be broken.
    When I seen this event all unfold last weekend, my 1st thought was ....."I am hosed!! I will never be able to bandage my way out of this one!" I had to pat myself on the back after getting back up andrunning so quickly. I am just glad I wasn't trying to cross Lake St. Clair while trying to beat a storm or worse yet in ONE!

I feel sorry for the average Joe's that are not mechanically inclined that my get stranded on the water. The is something Seadoo or the Engine manufactuer should take on as a tech bulliten to install a clamp as a safety and also investigate a re-design (twist and lock perhaps).

Anyone have a contact or website where I could submitt to Seadoo?

Hopefully we do not hear of any more cases and mine wasjust a one off event.

THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by seadoondude View Post
    I like the clamp idea as a safety to secure the T-Stat assembly tab area. The service manual I bought for my challenger did not list anything about how to remove the T-Stat from the housing. It appears based on the design, it is a very delicate area waiting for a disaster or could easily be broken.
    When I seen this event all unfold last weekend, my 1st thought was ....."I am hosed!! I will never be able to bandage my way out of this one!" I had to pat myself on the back after getting back up andrunning so quickly. I am just glad I wasn't trying to cross Lake St. Clair while trying to beat a storm or worse yet in ONE!

I feel sorry for the average Joe's that are not mechanically inclined that my get stranded on the water. The is something Seadoo or the Engine manufactuer should take on as a tech bulliten to install a clamp as a safety and also investigate a re-design (twist and lock perhaps).

Anyone have a contact or website where I could submitt to Seadoo?

Hopefully we do not hear of any more cases and mine wasjust a one off event.

THANKS!!
    While you've got it out replace the thermostat with a 160 degree one. See here:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=thermostat
    and here
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49408

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    That was just your boat's way of telling you that it wants a lower temp thermostat. Seriously though, this is a perfect time to replace it with a low temp 'stat and then just put the clamp around it.

Thread Information