Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Road Trip Time...New Ride to Pull Skis

I've been using my 96 Suburban to pull the skis and utility trailer, but it's time to let it go. The A/C went out and between insurance, fixing the A/C and tires next year, I'm looking at $3000. And even with that, I don't take it on road trips...it's too gas hungry, too old, not pretty anymore...

And then there's the Volvo S80. Turned out to be a POS. The Swedes make hot women, but not so sure about their cars. It's under warranty and in the shop getting a main engine oil seal changed. I've had it two years and it's a hangar queen.

Those two cars are leaving the fleet and we bought a Ford Edge to take the place of both. Hauls trailers, hauls ass, looks cool doing both.

Does anyone tow with one? It's got 20" rims and 270 HP with a Class II hitch.

+1
    I've never seen nor heard of it, have a link or photo?

blaim the volvo on ford ,

but the edge is pretty nice i know sumbody with one and he drives it more than his 4 cly 5 speed 24 mpg highwat chevy s10 pickup , so it must be pretty good ,

the only thing i dont like about these new suvs is that there unibody frame would really like a 2000 lb load say your xp and sltx on a 2 place trailer in an emergency situation or just a bolting a the tow package to raw sheet metal .

i would say its fine and would do just fine for 1 ski it would be perfect but id say keep that old chevy if you plan on getting a boat or useing it for a 2 place trailor ,

and i know the gas is killer most def for that over populated florida but thats imo

id say your mustang would be a better canidate

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

My Niece (17) is getting ready to trade her '07 Toyota Highlander for a new Ford Edge. It looks kind of mini van-ish to me, but pretty cool none-the-less, and she apparently really likes it. Let us know how yours does, as she will be pulling at least one ski every now and then.

Yea, you can blame Ford for the Volvo's problems, since they own and operate Volvo now. They trashed Land Rover already, so why not trash Volvo as well!?! Bleh...

+1
    Cool but I LOVE my 07 Avi.

+1

Try to read this review...

The Ford Edge crossover continues to energise the Ford stigmatize in the hottest vehicle segment in the Unitary States. Ford's new crossover distinguishes itself with bold, American conception, a stretched inner, self-propelled impulsive lineament and a host of forward-looking Ford Edge car insurance features.

The Edge delivers gamey functioning, fuel efficiency and a diplomatical, hushed ride from its assort-eassort 265-horsepower V-6 locomotive and 6-speed self-regulating transmittance. Edge also delivers on prophylactic, with a host of casebook bingle features including Ford's inner AdvanceTrac® with RSC®. Edge boasts a Top Prophylactic Pick from the Indemnity Establish for Highway Bingle and achieved battlefront and side driver five-star gate-crash-tgate-crash ratings from the Nationalist Highway Dealings Prophylactic Ford Edge car insurance Disposal.

Edge is useable in SE, SEL and Moderate trims. All Edges are factory-made at Ford's Oakville Fabrication Byzantine in Ontario, Canada.

New-for-2008 Features Set Edge Divided from the Contention
    The 2008 Edge lives up to Ford Centrifugal Comradeship's commitedness to birthe more vehicles that customers want to buy with features such Ford Edge car insurance as:

# Ford Sync™ - an manufacture-emanufacture, spokesperson-aspokesperson, manpower-fmanpower, in-car communications and amusement organisation. The useable organisation, matured in coaction with Microsoft, amply integrates mechanized phones and media players into the vehicle victimisation Bluetooth engineering and USB connectivity.
    # Spokesperson-aspokesperson pilotage organisation. The getable articulation-aarticulation DVD-based pilotage organisation features a 6.5-inch adjoin covert premeditated for reinforced pellucidity. It incorporates text-to-speech engineering that reads and communicates directions and street names in English, Spanish and Gallic.
    # Mogul liftgate. This useable new characteristic provides easy entree to the rear loading area and can be yawning with the key fob or with a flip-flop decorated on the dash. A new designing for the liftgate handgrip also allows for easier admittance to the vehicle's rear lading Ford Edge car insurance area.

Edge offers even more choices for 2008 with the improver of the Moderate Series, a new Inward Appearing Package that includes leather-trimmed seating with agiotage red seating surfaces and counterpoint sewing, a new 18-inch wheel option and new classify-eclassify 20-inch wheels. Four new colours are purchasable for 2008: Evaporation Articulate Clearcoat Aluminous, Deficient Ice Blue Clearcoat Tinny, Dark Ink Blue Clearcoat Gold-bearing and Lily-white Sand Tri-Coat Ford Edge car insurance.

+1
    I drove a Highlander a year ago on a vacation and it didn't do anything for me. The Pilot doesn't either. They are good trucks, but have no attitude or personality.

Our Volvo is a very handsome car. One reason why I chose it was because the dealer is a few minutes from my house and I knew I would have a warranty so the convenience was great. However, in the last two years, it's been there 4 times getting a new radiator, master cylinder, power door lock, air hose in the engine, acceleration problems, and now a huge oil leak. They've been working on it for the last 5 days.

My CPO warranty is expiring on the 13th and the next warranty will kick in but I'm selling the car and cashing out the warranty. The new warranty has a $100 deductible and I see this car having more and more issues even though the mileage is only mid-60k. I never did like how its very hard to accelerate smoothly from a stop. But I'm over this car.

We went to Ford to look at a Sport-trac, but I've always liked the Edge for its looks. Other than that I knew nothing about it. The salesman told us about it and that was the first car we drove. I sat in the front passenger seat and was sold even without driving it. The ride, looks, utility, luxury, towing, attitude, size, mpg...all of it said "take me home". We drove the Sporttrac and F150 too (they can't give them away now), but we don't need a pickup since I have an open trailer.

They had a floor model with the dvd's players in the headrests and offered us $30,000 for a MSRP of $38,000. I did the math looking at what we pay to carry the Suburban and Volvo and cash flow was a wash. So the deal was done.

The back seats recline and each kid gets his own DVD or they can both watch the same dvd and the movies can play through the stereo or in wireless headsets. The stereo cranks and has a huge subwoofer in the back. The roof is all glass and about half of the roof opens. The 20" wheels are cool with Pirellis. It's got a factory towing package good for 3500lbs which is all I will need. I'm not going to buy a boat it will be fine with the skis. The handling is very good, ride is like a sports sedan, and you sit with some height over the road and that makes it really easy to get in and out of. The rear seat fold forward with the touch of a button and the front pax seat also goes flat if needed for large loads up to 8' long. The factory tint is 20% in the rears and I'm tinting the front windows myself this week. The engine cranks out more power than my Mustang GT and is rank by Ward's in their top ten motors. The Microsoft Sync feature is cool too.

For our needs, Ford nailed it. It's got the luxury, the attitude and the utility we need. I'll take some pics with the Polaris in tow and report back on how it does on the ramp.

My main frustration with my current setup is that I won't road trip with the Suburban and so I'm not getting all the enjoyment I could from the skis. I keep hearing about all the cool places around Florida to ski and I'm stuck on the canal. Road trip time!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    My Niece (17) is getting ready to trade her '07 Toyota Highlander for a new Ford Edge. It looks kind of mini van-ish to me, but pretty cool none-the-less, and she apparently really likes it. Let us know how yours does, as she will be pulling at least one ski every now and then.

Yea, you can blame Ford for the Volvo's problems, since they own and operate Volvo now. They trashed Land Rover already, so why not trash Volvo as well!?! Bleh...

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    Found 2 Result(s)!it2008 FORD Edge 3.5L V6 2000 lbs
    YearMakeModelEn it2008 FORD Edge 3.5L V6 3500lbs/Towing package required

hope this helps, from trailor boats site. looks like you want the towing package for sure.
    Last edited by old guy in mich; 08-05-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: add

+1
    I'm glad I got the factory towing since there are upgrades to other components...

"The Edge's maximum towing capacity is 3,500 pounds, which is average for a crossover of this size. Pulling a trailer of more than 2,000 pounds requires the Class II Trailer Tow Prep Package, which costs about $350. It includes a hitch receiver, wiring harness, engine oil cooler and upgraded cooling fans, radiator and battery."

Quote Originally Posted by old guy in mich View Post
    Found 2 Result(s)!it2008 FORD Edge 3.5L V6 2000 lbs
    YearMakeModelEn it2008 FORD Edge 3.5L V6 3500lbs/Towing package required

hope this helps, from trailor boats site. looks like you want the towing package for sure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information