Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

no power to the coils, 96 xp

Hey everyone, just a quick question. I did a search, and didnt find exactly what I was looking for. I have no spark at my coils. I havent really sat down and tried to diagnose just yet, but while checking things, I noticed that when I try and start it, I have no power to the coils. What sends the power to them. It will help me track down my problem. Thanks all

96 xp stroked, coffmans pipe, r&d 61.8mph gps! merfturtle's Avatar
    There is only 1 coil with 2 leads on a 96 xp. When you say you have no power you are talking about 12 volts to the bottom of the coil? If so check the fuses in the front and rear electrical boxes. There is a relay in the front with a fuse. If not a fuse check all your connections, as much as its maligned the 96xp ignition system is pretty good by me!

Correct. I have no 12 volts to the coil. It used to run ok, but agter some jumps it would die. it would eventually restart, but now it doesnt. When you put lanyard on, and here the 2 beeps, does it power up the coils? Or do they power up when the computer sees the engine spinning. Could it be magneto or something else, or does the coils get powered after lanyard is put on, and the computer makes them spark. Follwed the wiring diagram, but didnt have a clear understanding on how it all works together. thanks alot for valuable info

+1
    In my 97 Spx, I was jumping waves and the same thign happened. It ended up being the little wire that goes to the ground side of the battery was completly destroyed, and needed replacment. Hope this helps.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If it died after jumping the inductive pickup is probably broken inside the front cover. Check you fuses in both boxes first, and grounds, especially the small one from the black box, pins inside plugs of top of black box and front cover for corrosion.

Been through this many times! it is either pickup in front cover, or ground broken right off of starter. You can eliminate the ground problem by running two of them. install another ground cable from the rear engine plate to the battery, you may have to get a longer bolt for the post on the battery. if you just replace the one on the starter i guarantee it will break again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by havasu977 View Post
    if you just replace the one on the starter i guarantee it will break again!
    That's if you can even get to it without donating a few 10mm wrenches and some blood to the hull gods...

Roger that!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I will let you know what i found. ski is buried in garage, so it will be a while

Thread Information