96 GTI Bogging (searched everything already)

Hey guys,

The problem I have is that I tried to take off with the ski and it revved up for about 10 seconds and then came crashing down to where I had to hold it wide open to get it to putt back into port.

I've been searching over here and saw that the grey fuel lines need to be pulled and changed so i'm in the process of doing that. I also saw that the filters inside the carbs will muck up causing this problem. I took the carbs apart and there's NOTHING on the screens. It looks like the previous owner handled this issue as well. I didn't see anything gumming the fuel selector either so I don't think that's the problem. My questions are:

1.How problematic is the fuel filter mounted above the tank and if it should be changed is there a cheap aftermarket alternative?

2.The exhaust pipe 2nd piece (one side connects to the U shape part of the exhaust the other to the hose to the waterbox) came undone. Will this cause an immediate bogging down of the ski?

Compression is good on both cylinders and I haven't had it running enough to get a reading on the plugs.

Thanks guys!

Ben

The fuel filter you speak of above the tank is a little plastic cup shaped unit correct? If so, it's a fuel separator with a steel mesh screen inside. Just unbolt the 10mm nut on top, remove the unit and clean out the debris. It's purpose is to separate the water and debris that gets missed by the filter screens on the fuel pick-up lines in the tank. As for the bogging issue, you're absolutely right. If you have an exhaust leak it will fill the engine compartment with exhaust emissions and kill the engine...or, deprive it of enough fresh air to make it run like a bag of hammers. Glad to hear about the fuel hose change over, it will save you big bucks later on down the road, I listened to 96XPSS on here and did the same.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicCE View Post
    Hey guys,

The problem I have is that I tried to take off with the ski and it revved up for about 10 seconds and then came crashing down to where I had to hold it wide open to get it to putt back into port.

I've been searching over here and saw that the grey fuel lines need to be pulled and changed so i'm in the process of doing that. I also saw that the filters inside the carbs will muck up causing this problem. I took the carbs apart and there's NOTHING on the screens. It looks like the previous owner handled this issue as well. I didn't see anything gumming the fuel selector either so I don't think that's the problem. My questions are:

1.How problematic is the fuel filter mounted above the tank and if it should be changed is there a cheap aftermarket alternative?

2.The exhaust pipe 2nd piece (one side connects to the U shape part of the exhaust the other to the hose to the waterbox) came undone. Will this cause an immediate bogging down of the ski?

Compression is good on both cylinders and I haven't had it running enough to get a reading on the plugs.

Thanks guys!

Ben
    Hey Ben,

1. It's not problematic at all. Just make sure you don't lose the oring...then it will cause problems!

2. Yes, it most certainly will. The pipe is an expansion chamber that scavenges the spent air/fuel mixture out of the cylinder. When you take that scavenging effect away, it runs like crap...if it runs at all.

One of the bolts was stripped for tightening the exhaust down which is what led to my problems I think. I cut the old parts off and bought new clamps for each end and tightened it down which got rid of the smoke (that I can see anyway.) We'll take her on the water tomorrow and find out if that did the trick.

Thanks for your help guys.

Thread Information