'Angels' honored for Indian Lake rescue

By Jessie Balmert
Staff Writer

Saturday, August 02, 2008

LAKEVIEW Last summer, Rick Hayman nearly drowned in the waters of Indian Lake State Park.
More than a year later, Hayman, formerly of Springfield but now a Florida resident, is left with no injuries and one sentiment gratitude.
"I'm so grateful to be standing here today," Hayman said.
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources presented a group of people with a lifesaving commendation award on Friday, Aug. 1.
Indian Lake staff nominated them for the award, said John Hunter, assistant chief of Ohio State Parks.
"They were our angels in the water," Hayman's wife, Charlene, said.
Hayman was on a pontoon boat on July 8, 2007, in Indian Lake when he saw that a sailboat had tipped over.
Hayman climbed onto a jet ski to help, but was knocked from the craft and landed in the water without a life jacket, he said.
Adrienne Henry, Alicia Jobe and Helen Spurgin were in a boat nearby, going to get ice cream with Alicia's father, Randy Jobe, and Charles Fralick.
After assisting the sailboat, the group then heard screams from one of Hayman's friends on the pontoon boat and saw Hayman's body floating face-down.
The women and Fralick jumped in the water while Randy Jobe shot off flares to attract the attention of emergency personnel.
They propped Hayman up on the jet ski of a trained emergency medic who had stopped to help.
The unidentified medic gave Hayman mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while Alicia Jobe, who is a nurse at Miami Valley Hospital, performed chest compressions.
"The odds that three people who knew what to do were there is infinitesimal," Hayman said. "It cannot be just an earthly thing."
By that time, Brian Cornell and Whitney Cornell saw the commotion and steered their boat over to help.
The Cornells pulled Hayman onto their boat and took him to shore.
Hayman was flown to St. Rita's Medical Center in Lima where he spent part of his nine-day stay in an induced coma to prevent brain swelling, Charlene Hayman said. He was released with a clean bill of health soon after.
"I am grateful for everyone because I truly understand what could have happened," Hayman said.