+1

Want to drive a PWC? First learn how to reboard from the water

Georgia man drowns despite rescue effort

July 29, 2008 - 7:25AM
    Robbyn Brooks
    Daily News
    PANAMA CITY - Despite the rescue effort of family members and registered nurses, a Georgia man drowned behind Regency Towers Monday afternoon.

Deputies with the Bay County Sheriff's Office Beach Patrol Unit found the distressed swimmer already on the beach with two nurses who were performing CPR. EMS took Derrick Pugh, 39, to the hospital, but he never regained consiousness.

Pugh and his 10-year-old son fell off a jet ski and couldn't get back on. Family members managed to get the boy to shore, but couldn't get Pugh back on the watercraft. During the ordeal, Pugh went limp.

He was from Atlanta.

Doesn't this begin to sound more and more typical of people unfamiliar with PWC boat operations or swimming ability, or perhaps physical ability? Of course in this unfortunate and sad situation there could have been a medical issue to took forefront of this problem, but it is imperative that people be able to swim and to reboard their PWC, and if you take out a passenger(S) include them in your preventative accident measures..

Yeah, one of the best things I did when I first got my SD and then my Kawi was to practice reboarding in open water. And then practice more in driving rain and big waves until I had no fear.

Despite all the practice, Ive still found that boarding with passengers can be dicey if passengers dont know exactly what they are doing. I have a 5 gall can secured to the back, with straps that have to be negotiated. In my opinion, Kawi can be quite tippy with passengers, esp with that gas can. Last weekend I had a 220lb passenger who insisted on trying to board ski from the side. It was a total non-starter. Ski nearly flipped several times. I had to keep repeating, USE THE BOARDING STEP. I had my wetsuit on, so I really didnt care if I fell in the water, but I did not want ski to flip and it seemed like that was an imminent risk.

Once ski is underway, its stable with 2 or 3 riders. But slow right turns, or open water boardings often seem dicey. I now go over the use of the boarding step repeatedly. Its even more important when youre in cold water. Its interesting to observe some of my friends who give me incessant flack for my wetsuits and ride gear when they find themselves fully immersed in the 48deg water in shorts and t-shirt. I know they dont want to let on its cold but every fiber in their body is screaming "get us out of this water." They will never admit it. But I know it because Ive been there, done that. And I can see it in their eyes and I can hear it in their breathing. Thats when I like to point out the flaming red jellyfish floating nearby. I always help, but I dont always hurry. I figure hurrying too much is unsafe.

Ive sometimes wondered if I should practice hurling myself off ski at full speed or even 35. But I did that accidentally once this year and I figure thats practice enough.

+1
    Heya Blue,
    yeah you sure put out a great descriptive to learn from, thanks for sharing that. This is a big thing to get good at and it is not easy for some people, so the practice part can be really helpful. Yeah falling off at speed is not pleasureable is it? LOL
    Shawn

Anytime I have a new passenger that wants a ride, I always make them board the ski the first time by hauling themselves aboard from water where they can't stand. I'll demonstrate and give verbal pointers, but I'll watch from the water without holding the ski or giving them any other help. If they can't make it, they don't ride.

+1
    That is such good advice and support. The better confidence installed in PWC users, the better the fun to be had!

Banned User
    I have a 1996 Seadoo HX that is merciless when it comes to reboarding. After riding it for 12 years, I have command of reboarding it from the side as well as the extraordinary challenge of reboarding from the rear. This did not come easy to me and is certainly overwhelming for new riders.

But whenever a new rider gets on it, the first thing I do is knock them off the ski and make them practice the deep water start. If they cannot do it right away, then I ride wingman with the bigger GTX to keep track of them. Once they are proficient to reboard the HX, then I continue the rest of the "training" for them so eventually they can ride solo.

Bottom line, if you are dealing with riding my HX or the GTX that I steward, it is required training to reboard in open water and in particular the deep water sideboarding (powerboarding) on the HX.

Thanks for the reminders above how important this element of PWC safety is.

+1
    wanna talk about hard to reboard and balance on...

back in the day I used to have a Kawasaki X2 if anyone can remember them...Was a blast to ride and do tricks on...lol

+1
    I raced an X-2 in 1989, I loved it! It was a blast, and a good friend of mine is refurbishing one now, and boy you get the reboarding award!

Thread Information