Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Completely Lost Please Help!!

I have a 98 SLH (or might be 99, 98 year of mfg on the tag) that I picked up for free and I want to try and use it this weekend but I have no idea what I need to do to get it ready or for that matter how to even put gas in it

Please Help!!

I did get it to start for a minute (The battery needs to be replaced but the motor runs)

My questions...

This is a 2 stroke?
    I put mixed oil/gas in the gas tank? or not?
    The oil tank under the fire ext cover is engine oil? or is that oil that mixes with the gas?
    It says use only 2 cycle oil on the cap
    if thats not the engine oil in that tank, wheres the engine oil? (see how clueless I am)
    How do I change it?
    The up down button on the bars doesnt seem to work (I guess thats trim?) That should work without the engine running?
    Do I need to put a water hose in this thing somewhere when I start it out of the water in my driveway?
    Anything else I should know?

Please be kind! and Thanks!!!

I tried to find an owners manual online but couldn't
    Last edited by Flipper; 08-05-2008 at 06:44 AM.

+1
    Hey Flip!

Welcome to the Hulk! You came to the only place you need for all your Polaris questions.

Before you do anything, don't run the ski...take some hours to cruise this board and get your base knowledge up because there are a few things that if you do by accident, you can really damage what seems like a nice ride.

But in the meantime while you're reading and asking questions, grab your camera and post some pics!!

Enjoy...jetskiing is fun! Take some time to learn so that you can be safe and your ski can be reliable as possible...the "search" function is a great place to start and very soon, you'll have a ton of replies here pointing you in the right direction.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I have a 98 SLH that I picked up for free and I want to try and use it this weekend but I have no idea what I need to do to get it ready or for that matter how to even put gas in it haha

Please Help!!

I did get it to start for a minute (The battery needs to be replaced but the motor runs)

My questions...

This is a 2 stroke?
    I put mixed oil/gas in the gas tank? or not?
    The oil tank under the fire ext cover is engine oil? or is that oil that mixes with the gas?
    Is there oil in the engine? (see how clueless I am)
    if so how do I change it?
    The up down button on the bars doesnt seem to work (I guess thats trim?) That should work without the engine running?
    Do I need to put a water hose in this thing somewhere when I start it out of the water in my driveway?

Please be kind! and Thanks!!!

Thanks Ron!

Ive tried searching but its a lot to search through

The people I got it from are going to be with me this weekend and they have put it in the water many times.

The problem is they know very little about it and how to take care of it and have had to take it in for repair many many times because they are even more clueless then me.

I was just hoping someone could give me some general info about what fluids and where to put them etc so I can try to avoid any further problems. Theres little chance Im going to be able to avoid putting it in the water this weekend and I don't want to mess it up. I also dont have a lot of time to figure all this out.

Any help anyone could give is Greatly Appreciated!!!

I need to get to work and will check back when I get home.

Thanks Again For Any Help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I have a 98 SLH (or might be 99, 98 year of mfg on the tag) that I picked up for free ( could be a great deal) and I want to try and use it this weekend but I have no idea what I need to do to get it ready or for that matter how to even put gas in it round cap on the outside of the hull

Please Help!!

Resist the urge to buy a cheap battery. spend $70-90 and get a good gel pack battery

My questions...

This is a 2 stroke?yes
    I put mixed oil/gas in the gas tank? or not?Not if the oil injections system is working correctly.
    The oil tank under the fire ext cover is engine oil? or is that oil that mixes with the gas?yes it is 2 cycle oil and it mixes with the gas in or around the carbs. you should be able to trace a line from the tank to the oil pump to the engine
    It says use only 2 cycle oil on the cap
    if thats not the engine oil in that tank, wheres the engine oil? (see how clueless I am)2 cycle engines do not have engine oil, the oil in the fuel lubricates the engine parts
    How do I change it? dont need to

The up down button on the bars doesnt seem to work (I guess thats trim?) That should work without the engine running?yes, the trim only works while running
    Do I need to put a water hose in this thing somewhere when I start it out of the water in my driveway? only run on the hose for a minute or two at a time, the pump is not cooled when out of the water and you can damage the bearings in the pump. Take it to the lake for testing

Yes, but too much to write here. Do your homework. You are going to be riding a 50 mph ski with no brakes and on the lake with a bunch of folks who might not know what they are doing either. Be careful. Stay 100 yards from any other boat or land. wear a life jacket, take a safety course. Meet some other skiers, learn everything you can about your ski.

If something sounds wrong, or feels wrong, STOP and ask questions

Please be kind! and Thanks!!! (we are always kind )

look in the tech section they are there, but most of the manual encompass many models during a few years. other than hulls and cosmetics, most of these skis have the same or similar gear inside.

+1

+1
    The trim can be tested without the engine running if you have the blue bildge pump botton located on the front side of the start/stop buttons located on the left side handle bar. Just hold down the blue button and press the trim button up/down at the same time. You'll need someone at the back of the boat to see if it's moving or not.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Thanks for All your input!!

Seaobin, thanks so much for answering all my questions!! It was a lot of help. Just to clearify, I just shove the hose in the hole in the bottom and then it's safe to start it?

JetskiMN, Thanks for the tip about the trim! I do have that button I'll test it this afternoon.

Chad, Thanks for your input, but woah man take a chill pill hah.
    In my area I simply need to be 16 to operate, no vessel license required I checked. I'm also not some moron thats going to kill you while I'm out this weekend. I appreciate the info about the throttle/steering relationship and would appreciate and read any other helpful information that you or anyone else would like to share with me.

Thanks!

+1
    Flipper, we all like to see out friends and family as well as our extended Polaris family safe and around for years to come.
    There's no ill will, we just want everybody safe.
    Come to think of it at 41, you're still a spring chicken around here. LOL
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 08-06-2008 at 10:07 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Come to think of it at 41, you're still a spring chicken around here. LOL
    Yeah, some of us have titanium asses...what say you Al?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information