Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2003 GTX SC Oil Warning/Overheating/White Smoke

Just bought a 03 GTX SC with 24 hours on it and I have a few concerns. When I start it up after it has sat for about 18 hours the Oil Warning comes on if I rev it over approx 2500 RPM. If I let it idle for about 10 min and slowly increase speed the problem goes away and it runs fine, gets up about 59 MPH without a problem. Another problem I had was when I attempted to pull a wakeboarder which resulted in a High Temp warming and white smoke leaving the rear of the ski. I immediately shut it down, and then started it up a few minutes later and it ran fine, no white smoke. The High Temp warning came up again the next day from riding it around at higher RPMs. This can't be normal. I have rented SeeDoos before and never had these issues. Has anyone heard of similar problems and what was done to fix them, keeping in mind I'm no mechanic.

Well, it could be the Oil Pressure Sensor, or it might be low oil pressure. The sensor is around $25 and I would change it first and see if the alarm goes away. White smoke is a sign of water in the exhaust, either from the antifreeze or from the cooling water. I would work on the OPS alarm first, but check to see if you are loosing antifreeze... Ron

Thanks for the reply. Coolant was low. Went to dealership and bought some coolant and oil. Asked what they thought of my problem. First off they said that a 2003 GTX SC should be able to pull a 185 LB wakeboarder out of the water no problem instead of struggling and overheating like mine did. Then they said white smoke means that one or more of my pistons could be damaged and I may need new rings. I'm going to take it out this weekend, ride it carefully, see if it loses coolant, watch for smoke, and double check the oil. Is it probable that I have damaged pistons and rings, or is it the dealership trying to squeeze some cash out of me?

pistons and rings will not cause WHITE smoke... leaking head gasket?
    pistons and rings control oil use... (blue smoke)

take the cap off the coolant jug, and start the ski... give it a little gas and check for air bubbles.. or worse... coolant blowing out of the jug when it is running. (sign of a leaking or blow head gasket.. can also be caused by crack in head or block too.. but usually ONLY if it really been overheated!)

oil pressure switch need 26-32 psi to close and not give alarm. I think the 03 had metal washers on the S/C right??? so you should not have to worry about broken washer parts in your pump.... i think??

mark your oil and water level... check to see if they are dropping when you run it next time. good luck!!

was the high temp alarm for the engine? or exhaust? you could have an obstruction in your cooling line from the pump to your exhuast system?

enough flow to keep it cool, but at high rpm,, you need a lot more cooling water to your exhaust to keep the temps down and the alarm off!

if you are not sure... then next time it goes off, pull the seat and pour a little water from your hand onto the exhaust pipe (between manifold and water box) see if it sizzles??? also check your coolant tank for signs of overheating. good luck

Was the ski ridden in fresh or salt water? Regardless, if the ski was not flushed properly after each ride, the coolant passages in the "J" pipe could be partially blocked, causing the exhaust system to overheat... Ron

+1
    Couldn't excessive oil cause white smoke, or would that be blue? I have never seen it on a ski, but thinking lawnmower with too much oil smokes bad.

Oil is normally blue, and synthetic oil doesn't smoke. At least, when I ran Klotz synthetic in my Kawasaki H1 500, it didn't smoke at all. I would run the ski and test the temp on the J pipe. I also had the oil pressure senor update done. After 15 minutes of cruising, the alarm would come on... Ron

+1
    could be as simple as a water line going to the j-pipe loose/leaking...but doesn't explain the smoke. smoke = no good.

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar
    I also have an 03 SC and have had the "white smoke" issue since new. It is just moisture and I only see it at idle or wwhen I first take off hard in a sharp turn.
    Pretty sure it is only steam conversion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information