d-plate install?

I recently purchased a 01 gp1200r, with about 100 hrs on it, is there a way of knowing if it has the cat replaced with a d-plate without taking it apart? the cat sensor keeps tripping ,seemingly randomly, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes 20 to 30 minutes and after about10 minutes of riding you can feel the heat of the exhaust through the seat - very warm

+1
    that means cat is clogged. get a dplate

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by happyukranian View Post
    I recently purchased a 01 gp1200r, with about 100 hrs on it, is there a way of knowing if it has the cat replaced with a d-plate without taking it apart? the cat sensor keeps tripping ,seemingly randomly, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes 20 to 30 minutes and after about10 minutes of riding you can feel the heat of the exhaust through the seat - very warm

Stop riding immediately because you dont want to hurt your ski. What happened is your cat converter fell apart and is blocking your exhaust., take off your seat, take of your plastic exhaust cover, take off your battery box, disconnect the "stinger" part of exhaust that goes from the silver waterbox that you will see once you take off the battery box... all the way up to the rubber clamp up near the right handle bar. Then once that is off you will see a silver piece of metal squished between the middle of the exhaust with a lot of bolts holding the two pieces of exhaust together. Take those out and split the exhaust. You will then see a metal ring with a honeycomb looking center.... that is your cat. Most likely this honeycomb center will be all apart and broken up. You will then need to proceed to follow your exhaust down to your water box and try to get all the pieces out. Once that is completed, you will need to remove that Piece of shit yamaha cat and get a D-plate to install in its place.

Doug.

That cat probably has an 80-90 hour life expectancy. I replaced mine at about 70 hours and i could see signs of it just starting to come apart. No problems yet, but some small holes in it. A few more hours of hard riding and it would have been toast.

thanks , will order d plate right away

Thread Information