1st time owner

I really need some help!!!

Ok I have a 94 sl650. It would top out at 5mph when WOT. Pulled the plugs to find that the rear plug was clean with no evidence of spark. Checked the spark and no spark to rear cylinder. Middle and front cylinder both had spark. So we took apart the electric box to find a pinched wire that went from the middle cylinder plug wire coil to the rear cylinder plug wire coil. So I spliced the wire back together. No we have no spark on any of the cylinders. What the hell did I do wrong. I checked the coils with a test light and have power while cranking to the front plug wire coil, and middle plug wire coil but nothing to or out of the rear cylinder plug wire coil. I am not sure if I fried the CDI by splicing the wire back together with a butt splice connector instead of the factory type connector that was originally in there. So if someone could tell me what I need to replace that would be great cause I dont want to put more money in this ski than I paid for it a couple of weeks ago by taking it to the only guy here in town that works on polaris. I know I need a coil and plug wire for the rear cylinder so if anyone has any parts out there for sale I am game to purchase. Thanks everyone for any help you can provide.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You have downloaded the Service Manual?

Check the ignition coils with an ohm meter, per the manual.

Also check the wiring, make sure you did not change something when you were doing the repair(or somebody before you messed with the wiring).

1st time owner
    Yeah I checked all the coils and not sure of they are correct cause I cant figure out my ohm meter to see if I am getting the right readings. But when I put a test light to the end of each wire I get power when cranking.

+1
    Pics would be great. Try to show where they were before if you can edit them.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by verrettej View Post
    Yeah I checked all the coils and not sure of they are correct cause I cant figure out my ohm meter to see if I am getting the right readings. But when I put a test light to the end of each wire I get power when cranking.
    Set the meter to read ohms (looks like a horse shoe symbol) and put the leads between the black and black/white coil wires. Should read around .5

Thread Information