Thread: USS Reagan
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM #1
Seeing it next to the Arizona Memorial really puts its size into perspective... ENORMOUS!
When the Bridge pipes 'Man the Rail' there is a lot of rail to man on this monster: shoulder to shoulder, around 4.5 acres. Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.
Top speed exceeds 30 knots, powered by two nuclear reactors that can operate for more than 20 years without t refueling
1. Expected to operate in the fleet for about 50 years
2. Carries over 80 combat aircraft
3. Three arresting cables can stop a 28-ton aircraft going 150 miles per hour in less than 400 feet
1. Towers 20 stories above the waterline
2. 1092 feet long; nearly as long as the Empire State Building is tall
3. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres
4. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds
5. 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons
6. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet
1. Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel
2. Carries enough food and supplies to operate for 90 days
3. 18,150 meals served daily
4. Distillation plants provide 400,000 gallons of fresh water from sea water daily, enough for 2,000 homes
5. Nearly 30,000 light fixtures and 1,325 miles of cable and wiring 1,400 telephones
6. 14,000 pillowcases and 28,000 sheets
7. Costs the Navy approximately $250,000 per day for pier side operation
8. Costs the Navy approximately $25 million per day for underway operations (Sailor's salaries included).
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM #2
Just wondering if they cut the bucket and put a wedge in what speeds ya think ya get...
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2008
- Lexington, KY
^ I wonder if they opted for the WORX or J.D. intake grate for that in choppy waters
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM #4
30+ knots = 34.5MPH imagine your local skyscrapers moving at over 30MPH and you know the top speed is probably more than 40 knots
1 knot = 1.15mph
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM #5
Can you imagine jumping that wake...
By the way, have you seen the new USS INDEPENDENCE, LCS 2, see link below:
..."tri-maran hull combined with the capabilities and look of a warship makes it something out of this world!"
Last edited by YoYamma; 08-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
08-06-2008, 05:48 PM #6
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM #7
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM #8
and what pitch are those bronze propellers??
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM #9
well sure, they can build a monster like that and it doesn't need a fill up for 20 years.
But they can't build a mini nuclear reactor for my F350???
Hmmm.... How about a ski that doesn't need a fill up for 40+ years.
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM #10
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By jetskibrian in forum PWC FishingReplies: 10Last Post: 12-04-2012, 05:54 AM
By Avi8tor in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-09-2012, 06:15 AM
By RX951 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 19Last Post: 02-03-2008, 07:38 AM