Thread: torque power?

torque power?

So last weekend I went up to upstate NY for vacation by a lake. Brought my 05 Seadoo RXP with 50 hours on it, stage one and a XS power intercooler. I also brought my water skis and my son was pulling me out of the water easily while i was on the water skis. Then the next day the jet ski wouldn't pull me out of the water and it would even pull a tube. It prity much didnt have enough torque power to pull me. But I took it for a straight test and it got up to 70 easily with high RPMS. Anyone know why it would'nt pull me out of the water or anything?

+1
    You might've burned out your wear ring (assuming it's plastic) from the excessive start-ups with all that load on the driveline. Just a FYI for next time, it's illegal to tow behind a 2 seat PWC in NY By law you need a spotter and enough room on the craft for whoever is being towed. Last time I checked anyway..
    Did you do a holeshot without towing anything and notice a lot of cavitation??

I was pulling a tube and a wake board at Lake Gaston, I noticed that after alot of low speed idleing and slow runs would cause the plugs to foul out, would have to undo the tube/wake board and run WOT to clear out the plugs to get my take out back to normal.

Did your power all come back after your high speed run?

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    You might've burned out your wear ring (assuming it's plastic) from the excessive start-ups with all that load on the driveline. Just a FYI for next time, it's illegal to tow behind a 2 seat PWC in NY By law you need a spotter and enough room on the craft for whoever is being towed. Last time I checked anyway..
    Did you do a holeshot without towing anything and notice a lot of cavitation??

Just a sidebar about the towing rules:

I have always gone by the same assumption here in Florida...that was what everyone was telling me. Then I took the time to actually read the law, and discovered that just a driver was sufficient, as long as there was a wide angle rear view mirror involved!

Water Ski Regulations
    The operator of a vessel towing someone on skis or another aquaplaning device must either have an observer, in addition to the operator, on board who is attendant to the actions of the skier or have and use a wide-angle rear view mirror.

You might want to review the written laws for your area...might save you a frivilous ticket!

+1
    My family was issued a ticket here in NY for towing 2 people while having a driver and a spotter on a 3 seat PWC. So technically there needed to be room for 4. That was atleast 5 years ago though so that's why I said "last time I checked"..I haven't looked into it since.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Here are the Texas laws (cut and pasted from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website):
    • It is illegal for boats to tow a person(s) on water skis, skiboards, or any device of this type between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise. It is illegal for PWCs to tow any device between sunset and sunrise.
    • All vessels towing person(s) on skis or similar devices must be operated in a careful and prudent manner. A reasonable distance from other vessels, people, and property must be maintained so as not to endanger life or property. Buzzing or spraying another vessel or swimmer is illegal.
    • Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
      • An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older or ...
      • A rearview mirror. The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in measurement from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times. Note: Most PWC mirrors do not meet these size standards.
    • A PWC must be rated for at least two persons when towing persons on water skis or a similar device.
    • If an observer is used, the PWC must be rated for three people—the operator, the observer, and the retrieved skier.
    All marine safety enforcement officers and game wardens are given the authority under the Texas Water Safety Act to enforce the boating laws of Texas. This includes the right to stop and board vessels in order to check for compliance with federal and state laws.
    The U.S. Coast Guard has enforcement authority on federally controlled waters.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    Here are the Texas laws (cut and pasted from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website):
    • It is illegal for boats to tow a person(s) on water skis, skiboards, or any device of this type between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise. It is illegal for PWCs to tow any device between sunset and sunrise.
    • All vessels towing person(s) on skis or similar devices must be operated in a careful and prudent manner. A reasonable distance from other vessels, people, and property must be maintained so as not to endanger life or property. Buzzing or spraying another vessel or swimmer is illegal.
    • Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
      • An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older or ...
      • A rearview mirror. The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in measurement from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times. Note: Most PWC mirrors do not meet these size standards.
    • A PWC must be rated for at least two persons when towing persons on water skis or a similar device.
    • If an observer is used, the PWC must be rated for three people—the operator, the observer, and the retrieved skier.
    All marine safety enforcement officers and game wardens are given the authority under the Texas Water Safety Act to enforce the boating laws of Texas. This includes the right to stop and board vessels in order to check for compliance with federal and state laws.
    The U.S. Coast Guard has enforcement authority on federally controlled waters.
    Wow...tough mirror size requirement! I can't remember ever seeing a 4" tall mirror, even on a ski boat. As I posted above, Florida doesn't mention any size restriction on the mirror(s).

I know the rules. Can anything els be wrong besides the wear ring? how does it burn out?

When I had similar problems with towing or even plaining out of the hole is was because I had gallons of water in my hull from a leaking carbon seal. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by eimutisj View Post
    I know the rules. Can anything els be wrong besides the wear ring? how does it burn out?
    Worn bearings in the pump let the impeller shaft wobble and wear the plastic wear ring. How much play is in the impeller shaft?... Ron

Thread Information