+1

What should I do with this 1997 XP??? *PICS*

Here’s the situation. I bought two 1997 Seadoo XP’s. One (XP #1)is exceptionally clean and came with a perfect running sbt rebuilt engine. The other (XP #2) (pictured)has damage on the engine cover and the seat is faded and cracked. The engine sat with water in it, so it needs to be rebuilt. Paint isn’t as glossy on this one either. So, the original plan was to have two running skis…thus there was going to be a newly rebuilt engine. Well….After riding the clean ski (with the sbt engine) for about ten hours or so, I decided to get the ball rolling and get the one engine rebuilt. Naturally I want the newest engine in the nicest ski, so I pulled the sbt engine from the one ski to go into the other. Now in the meantime, a deal too good to pass up came along…this being a complete low hour 155hp 4-tec for my GTX VTC (currently has no motor). Drop in, align, plug in and go. Great for jet skiing…bad for my wallet because a great deal on this complete engine (ECU, harness, mounts, EVERYTHING!!) was still $2500. Now I’m low on cash for the XP engine rebuild, thus must sell XP #2.

It’s going to take about $150 to get XP #2 going (reprogram new key, new battery, replacement buzzer, etc) and I wanted to get $2200 for it after I got it together and going. The big question is…Should I just part this thing out? If I do, is it reasonable to expect to get $2000 from parts sales within a few weeks time? I’ve seen shortblocks with good compression go for around $500-$800. What could be expected for a COMPLETE perfectly running engine (from airbox to expansion pipe / oil pump to PTO)? Complete VTS system works perfectly also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 302.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	963.7 KB 
ID:	87331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 303.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	87332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 304.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	992.0 KB 
ID:	87333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 305.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,013.2 KB 
ID:	87334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 306.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	987.1 KB 
ID:	87335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 307.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	87336  

+1
    C'mon 60 views and no comments? Someone's gotta have some input. I even take sarcasm very well!

parting out on Ebay, can be hit or miss.... see parts flech top dollar and I see parts go dirt cheap... if you plan to part out..start posting now! as the summer come to an end... people will not be looking for parts to keep their toys running... I try and buy parts I need off season.....

good luck on the sale! or part out!

Banned User
    Take a breath - and forget making hasty decisions on it as the season is ending.

As we go into the fall, I'd plan on rebuilding it. Maybe not restoring it, but at least a good beater or wingman ski.

take your time - won't be as frustrating as the days get shorter. Rather you have a goal of using the winter to turn this thing around on your own terms.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    VE920 and the works over the winter

+1
    Yeah, VE920 would be something.

I just got back from the local dealer Trumbull Motorsports in Bel Alton, MD Seemed like some nice guys. The dealership is new. Hope they do well.

Got my MPEM programmed to accept DESS key. Found out the ski only had 17hrs and 19minutes! When I bought it, the story was that the original owner flipped it, got water in the engine and then let it sit for years before unloading it. What a shame!

Engine is going in tomorrow. Even if I do go to part it out, I will at least know what is 100% functioning.
    Last edited by rhislo; 08-08-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    such a shame... hope you put it to good use... hows the hull on it?

+1
    Hull is great! Could use a good wax, but that's what everybody says when the finish coat isn't 100% glossy.

I installed the engine Saturday and took it out today for about an hour. Everything works great including the speedo. You can definitely tell the lower hour pump (Engine was removed from 97XP as well... 150+ hours) makes a big difference. When I rebuild the engine for XP#1, I'm redoing the pump as well. The only blemishes on this ski are the seat and an area on the engine cover.

Thread Information