Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help! 1996 Polaris Slt 780 Mfd!

I hear all of the polaris know how is here in these forums so here it goes!

I am a new ski owner, just bought a 96 slt 780 with trailer for $750.00, never owned a ski before. I thought it was a great deal, kids, wife and I rode it all weekend with no problems. Ran two tanks of premium shell v power, first with sea foam additive and second with the lucas product recommended on another thread i saw earlier. Ski ran Great!

Dead lawn mower battery in it batery when purchased, and I know it was jump started by previous owner as he told me.

I installed new battery and have followed steps for unplugging the mfd, waiting for a long while and then plugged it back in, but that did not work. I'm scared to open the electrical box ( is this what everyone is calling the cdi), to check the fuses.

Also, on one thread I read that the harness going to the mfd should have 8 wires, but mine only has six- pink, blue, brown, red, black and yellow. Did previous owner disconnect wires? Followed wires from mfd to electrical box and the same six are there! Can anyone tell me what the six or eight wires are individually for and how to test them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems like a great machine and want to keep it that away and would like to get mfd operational if I could. Ski has been garage kept and well cared for.

Thanks in advance for any advice that is given.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

The MFD is called an 8 pin because the plug has eight pins and only six are used. The electrical box is easy to open to check the 1/4AMP fuse.
    Here is the manual.. http://mattmans.com/polaris/upload/1...toryManual.pdf

Thanks, for the quick response, I'll get to work and see what I can find after dinner!

+1
    What are we having??? I like Pizza

Ok, Went To Auto Parts Store And Radio Shack, No One Has The 1/4 Amp Fuse..closest I Can Find Is 1/2 Amp. Both Fuses In The Electric Box Were Out..will It Hurt To Use The 1/2 Amp Fuse..voltage On The Fuse Is The Same..just 1/2 Amp Instead Of 1/4 Amp...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wjstewart View Post
    ...Radio Shack, No One Has The 1/4 Amp Fuse
    ...will It Hurt To Use The 1/2 Amp Fuse?...
    Radio Shack was out of stock, or they couldn't find the part number 27.1002 for you?

The 1/2 Amp fuse will work, BUT, if the old fuse blew because something was wrong, the 1/2 Amp fuse may not fully protect the MFD from damage.

The other fuse would be for the bilge pump or trim motor (I forget which).

They were out of stock..If it will hurt to use the 1/2 amp instead of the 1/4 amp, i'll just wait,,all radio shacks in the houston area are out and they don't know when they will get more in..I'm just eager to see if the fuse is what's wrong with my MFD or if the MFD is bad as well...They seem really expensive from what i've seen thus far

Quote Originally Posted by wjstewart View Post
    They were out of stock..If it will hurt to use the 1/2 amp instead of the 1/4 amp, i'll just wait,,all radio shacks in the houston area are out and they don't know when they will get more in..I'm just eager to see if the fuse is what's wrong with my MFD or if the MFD is bad as well...They seem really expensive from what i've seen thus far
    K447 told it like it is...never step up a fuse rating! This will defeat the very protection that the original fuse was providing.

Go to the Yellow Pages, and start calling the electronic supply houses...they should have the exact match.

+1
    Let me look and see if I have a 1/4 that will fit. I have a "butt" load of fuses in the shop. Stand by.

Also I just tested a 6 wire MFD. If you still want to know haow to test to make sure MFD is good or not

Lear

+1
    No dice sorry, I have the one 1/4 in my old CDI box. Try this. Find a True Value maybe even depot, Lowes, or a good local Hardware store. They should have those racks of bins or boxes that have hard to find stuff in them. Like Woodruff keys, special nuts, machine screws, etc... They should have fuses too. You need a BUSS AGC 1/4A. Radio Shack sucks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information