Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My MSX 140 Saga

My MSX 140 Saga

My 140 has been in the shop for the past 2 years more than it has been in the water. It kept bogging and dying out and not restarting.
    Since Polaris dumped their watercraft production, dealers have been slowly following suit so I am driving it 70 miles for repairs everytime this heap has problems, which is often.
    I finally found a dealer with a tech who knows how to troubleshoot.
    He found that 5 recalls were never completed and the stator was bad.

One of the recalls was for the TPS.
    My question: If the TPS is malfunctioning, can it cause the stator to get hosed?

I am getting so sick of this big blue piece of dung.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Sorry to hear your MSX 140 (2003 model, I presume) has been giving you so much trouble.

You can download the Polaris Factory Service Manual from here.

If you do have the 2003 model, there were several important Service Bulletins issued for the MSX 140. Your previous dealer(s) 'should' have checked your HIN number on the Polaris system, and performed all the outstanding Service Bulletins.

If your new tech is stumped by any of the issues your machine is experiencing, tell us what you can about the problem, and we will try to guide you towards a fix.

That said, the TPS should not have any impact on the electrical stator. They are not connected, except that they both feed into the EMM computer.

If the stator is bad, that certainly can cause engine performance problems.

TPS can and do go bad. The updated 'over-molded' versions seem to last longer than the earlier versions.

I think ph2ocraft on here also reported there was some issue with the stator bolts being slightly too long (or something along those lines) on his 2003 MSX 140. Have your tech check that none of the bolts in the stator area are too long, and bottoming out in the holes instead of clamping down whatever it is they are supposed to be holding in place.

BTW, I have a 2004 MSX 140. So far, I have been quite happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040450.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	87373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040452.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	87374  

2003 Msx 140

It is a 2003. How did you guess that?
    I haven't been on the board in a while, lurking or otherwise.
    Are a lot of other people having similar problems?
    The machine only has a handful of hours on it.
    <60 hours because it is always in the shop.

The dealer I bought it from was more than happy to wash his hands of the Polaris watercraft.
    He said they were a pain to work on and the diag software was terrible.
    It still bugs me that he sold it to me and then won't look at it when it tanks.
    It also bugs me that I wasn't notified of recalls.
    Do dealers still get the notice if they don't sign the service agreement with Polaris?

I am hoping that the issues have finally been corrected.
    The dealer I am bringing it to now is great.
    He managed to make a friend at Polaris who is a watercraft tech that, in the dealer's words, "really knows his stuff".
    They have been working through all that is wrong with it.
    I really do like this boat. i just hope my problems with it will be a memory. Even if it is just for the remainder of this summer

K447 guessed '03, because even though Polaris claims to have built an '04, no one that I know (including this forum) seems to have ever actually seen one!

In K447's search for his MSX140, every one that he was interested in ended up being an '03...even the ones that were advertising to be an '04.

I have the MSX150...and it is the 2004 model.

Welcome aboard!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpandmsx View Post
    It is a 2003. How did you guess that?
    Because the 2003 MSX 140's had the most trouble, and they were blue.

...Are a lot of other people having similar problems?
    How much trouble you had depended on how early in the 2003 model year you bought it, as Polaris had some tough teething pains with the MSX 140 when it first came out.

If your dealer was good, and applied the fixes as Polaris issued the notices and updates, then the owner's may not have noticed much trouble.

The machine only has a handful of hours on it.
    <60 hours because it is always in the shop.

The dealer I bought it from was more than happy to wash his hands of the Polaris watercraft.
    He said they were a pain to work on and the diag software was terrible.
    A lot of Polaris dealers feel they were given a raw deal when Polaris exited the PWC sales business near the end of 2004.

It still bugs me that he sold it to me and then won't look at it when it tanks.
    It also bugs me that I wasn't notified of recalls.
    Bugs us too.

Do dealers still get the notice if they don't sign the service agreement with Polaris?
    If they have access to the PWC section of the Polaris dealer support computer system, then they can check your HIN number, and see every applicable notice and repair that any dealer has made to your machine (as long as the dealer remembered to update the system when they did the work). If it was warranty work, they almost had to update the system in order to get paid for the work.

I am hoping that the issues have finally been corrected.
    The dealer I am bringing it to now is great.
    He managed to make a friend at Polaris who is a watercraft tech that, in the dealer's words, "really knows his stuff".
    Whatever your experience is, let us know about the dealer. We are always happy to recommend a good dealer to other Polaris owners, as the remaining good ones ARE few and far between.

They have been working through all that is wrong with it.
    I really do like this boat.

I just hope my problems with it will be a memory.
    Even if it is just for the remainder of this summer
    I like my MSX 140 too.

It is fairly good on fuel, rides and handles nicely, and looks good on the water. No carbs to adjust or mess with, instant starting.

And when it comes time for an engine rebuild (after several hundred hours), it is still a 2-stroke, so the cost of a complete refresh is manageable, compared to some of the modern 4-stroke machines, which have so many more internal moving parts.

BTW, if your machine has anything but a brand new battery, now would be a good time to install a top-shelf AGM type battery. Even the best running PWC will give you grief if the battery is marginal. Do a search for Deka, lots of info available.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    K447 guessed '03, because even though Polaris claims to have built an '04, no one that I know (including this forum) seems to have ever actually seen one!

In K447's search for his MSX140, every one that he was interested in ended up being an '03...even the ones that were advertising to be an '04...
    Actually, I DO have a 2004 MSX 140.

It took a while to find one for sale anywhere near me, but they do exist. Mine is red. HIN code ends with J304

Was just out riding it this weekend. Need to get some padding for where my knees whack the console on the bigger waves...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004 MSX140 rpm-motor-sports VP712268_2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	87412  

+1
    LOL The 04's are tough to find but there are plenty around. My 04 and the one Mark owns have been trouble free...even the one converted to a Matrix was flawless until a little water entered the picture.

He guessed it was an 03 because they made the burgundy and blue units in 03 and the Havasu red in 04.
    My 03 was like yours, a total disaster with almost every imaginable part thrown at it. The dumb ass at Polaris trying to figure mine out was a clown by the name of John Thole. We told him countless times to replace the stator but instead he authorized the wiring harness, EMM and injectors, TPS etc.,,of course none of it prevented the mighty 03 from failing and leaving me and my family stranded countless numbers of times.

Once converted to the Matrix and the stator was changed to that of the Virage the problem was solved.
    There was an issue on the early 03 units with the stator mounting hardware being too long. I don't remember the exact issue other than stator plate being too thin and the screws bottoming out without actually securing the plate properly.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Actually, I DO have a 2004 MSX 140.

It took a while to find one for sale anywhere near me, but they do exist. Mine is red. HIN code ends with J304

Was just out riding it this weekend. Need to get some padding for where my knees whack the console on the bigger waves...
    Had NO idea that you finally found one! I remember all of the posts during your search, and the numerous times the HIN ended up to be an '03. Proof positive that..."they lived!!!"

Guy several blocks away has a blue '03 just sitting in his yard. Stopped by one day to see if he was interested in selling it, and he told me that "it is a 2007...the final year Polaris made this ski." I just nodded....

Do you think that since the dealer was working so closely with the tech from Polaris that the bolt problem with the stator mount will be corrected?

I don't want to have to bring it back in for service for at least 1 summer.

Oh, and one more thing that I forgot to mention.
    The dealer told me that Polaris authorized repair of 3 of the 5 recalls.
    He said that if it made it past 10 hours the other recalls didn't need to be done??
    Is that messed up or what? What if I have just been lucky so far?
    What were they?

I am just going to keep writing them emails reminding them how crazy this whole thing is.
    And I always cc: Tom Tiller, the CEO of Polaris Industries.
    Why drop a whole group of customers because watercraft wasn't profitable for Polaris?
    I own a Polaris ATP and Snowmobile too.
    Give the dealers that once sold the watercraft an incentive to keep servicing them.
    The dealer that is servicing it now said he almost didn't re-sign the service agreement.
    Where in the heck am I going to bring it then?
    I will need to get the software to troubleshoot it myself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    There was an issue on the early 03 units with the stator mounting hardware being too long. I don't remember the exact issue other than stator plate being too thin and the screws bottoming out without actually securing the plate properly.
    That's exactly right.... happened to my '03 as well. The symptons were hard start, bogging, and eventually just quit. Definately find out if your unit is having this same issue. Once mine was repaired it was flawless and is still running today.

m

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information